• Show
Clear All
  • Alex Cunningham
    "RFO 2012 Spelling Bee Champion"
    • December 8, 2010
    • Northern California

Enlarged Stair Plan Callouts

I just wanted to verify.
    It is NOT possible to have a call out boundary box in any other shape other then square.

I have a round stair and several other odd shaped areas I need to make enlarged plans of. Having a square callout just won't look nice.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    -Alex Cunningham
  • mark b
    Super Moderator
    • December 7, 2010
    • NSW Australia

Still not possible.
    WISH LIST ITEM !!!!
    There is a horrible workaround.

You can work arround this to get an L shape by doing two overlapping callouts, turn one off in view, and on the sheet place both callouts so the views over lap, and one view has the title turned off, so it appears to be one reference. ....
    Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

• Alfredo Medina
      Forum Co-Founder
      • December 7, 2010
      • FL, USA

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham
      ...It is NOT possible to have a call out boundary box in any other shape other then square.
      Technically, the answer to that question would be: yes, there is another shape other than a square: a rectangle.

But, no, and even if you fake it, by making your callout boundaries white, and drawing another shape of your own, Revit will always make the viewports as a rectangle or a square, and if you export the view to CAD, the color white will show up again; I remember Aaron's warning about that.
      Alfredo Medina Architectural Services | (Licensed in Florida) | Laser Scanning | 3d Printing | Training & consulting on Revit | Linkedin

Comment

• Alex Cunningham
        • December 8, 2010
        • Northern California

I hate this program sometimes!!!
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

• mark b
          Super Moderator
          • December 7, 2010
          • NSW Australia

You can acheive a circle by manipulating the corner radius and extents of callout, bit of trial and error. There is a cutoff point to how big the radius can be.
          Attached Files
          Mark Balsom

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Comment

• Ben-May
            • December 8, 2010
            • Melbourne,Oz

I have a workflow that is possible, but its definatly a workaround...

Just create the stair callouts as normal plans

Then create a custom callout type which you you can search for in a filter

Apply the custom callout type to the stair part plans

Then reference the callouts on plan where you want to see them

Apply a filter to the view which finds these custom callouts, and overide the linework to be not visible, for this I use a long dot line type set to white (note this will affect model elements so make the dots as long as possible)

Now you just need to draw in your custom callout shape, with detail lines (create a custom linetype to keep consistent) or if the shape was a bit more consistent, you can create a detail component

Still a workaround, but using referencing views is pretty powerful for callouts IMO, to allow for a different extent to the actual detail
            Revit BLOGGAGE

http://www.revic.org.au

Comment

• gdoherty0102
              Forum Addict
              • December 14, 2010
              • United States

How do you override the linework of a callout?

Comment

• Alfredo Medina
                Forum Co-Founder
                • December 7, 2010
                • FL, USA

VG > Object Styles > Annotation objects > Callout Boundary...
                Alfredo Medina Architectural Services | (Licensed in Florida) | Laser Scanning | 3d Printing | Training & consulting on Revit | Linkedin

Comment

• Alex Cunningham
                  • December 8, 2010
                  • Northern California

Originally posted by mark b
                  You can acheive a circle by manipulating the corner radius and extents of callout, bit of trial and error. There is a cutoff point to how big the radius can be.
                  This is what a colleague of mine suggested. I have it working... IDK if I like it yet.

Originally posted by Ben-May
                  I have a workflow that is possible, but its definatly a workaround...

Just create the stair callouts as normal plans

Then create a custom callout type which you you can search for in a filter

Apply the custom callout type to the stair part plans

Then reference the callouts on plan where you want to see them

Apply a filter to the view which finds these custom callouts, and overide the linework to be not visible, for this I use a long dot line type set to white (note this will affect model elements so make the dots as long as possible)

Now you just need to draw in your custom callout shape, with detail lines (create a custom linetype to keep consistent) or if the shape was a bit more consistent, you can create a detail component

Still a workaround, but using referencing views is pretty powerful for callouts IMO, to allow for a different extent to the actual detail
                  Now thats whay I call a workaround. I gotta wrap my head around this one. I will report back. Thank You
                  -Alex Cunningham

Comment

• Alex Cunningham
                    • December 8, 2010
                    • Northern California

Ben,

How do you deal with when you apply a filter to change the line type to white and dot, it also changed the call out bubble to white and dot?
                    -Alex Cunningham

Comment