Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mysterious *Ahem* happenings with Revit Server

OK..

I probably know what the answer is here, but I need humoring and also to call on the wider experience.

We have Revit Server installed on our network here, to facilitate two disparate offices to work together.. (thats what its for, right..)

However, I am seeing some strange things happening. Every now and then, I will get a call from one of the guys on the RS, saying "Revit has deleted some stuff from my file.. can you get it back for me...?".. The latest episode is a bunch of GA sections gone missing, which in turn has deleted the 1:20, and all the associated 1:5's as well, plus a load of Elevations... Quite a lot of work..

In any reality, is it at all possible that Revit Server has had something to do with this..? I know its quite possibly a ridiculous question, but I have to get this sorted out, so I can be 100% sure what is going on here. Is there any way I can track what people are doing within the Revit model as well, so I can at least get an idea who did what ..?

I know its probably PICNIC, but I need to be sure. the only common things here with these strange occurrences, are Revit Server, and the users of these files.

Many thanks...

Andy
    I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it

I have no answers for you, Andy, but I think I can at least lend some support to what you say.
    We have (at least) one project where people have been telling me similar stories.
    They claim things mysteriously disappear. The REALLY weird thing is that they say those same items will re-appear later.
    One example was someone added a DWG Link on Monday. Everyone SWC'd at night and all refreshed the next morning.
    One person says they didn't see the Link show up until almost noon. - in spite of several SWCs on both sides.

This project is NOT on Revit Server, although the team member that added the Link is using our Cloud Server to access the project.
    Looking through their Journal files, I did find one line that referenced Revit Server, although I have no idea if that's significant or not:
    Jrn.MouseMove 0 , 418 , 444
    'E 14-Jan-2013 13:05:45.957; 0:<
    Jrn.Command "Internal" , " , ID_FILE_CADFORMAT_LINK"
    ' 0:< DBG_WARN: Failed to delete the reg value of RevitServerView.: line 400 of n:\build\2013_ship_x64_inst_20121003_2115\source\r evit\revitdb\datastorage\DataStorageUtil.cpp.
    'H 14-Jan-2013 13:05:51.458; 0:<

I'm curious if this is a common problem.

Sent it off to Autodesk Support, but I haven't heard back from them yet.
    (BTW, seems like support time lately has been about 3 days )
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Hey Dave..

Started looking into Journal files etc.. then found this awesome piece of software:

Autodesk University - Monitoring Autodesk® Revit® Projects Effectively

Its a Journal reader, but will read via a number of parameters, ie deletions, insertions, user etc. strangely enough, once I gathered my users journal files together, it looks like I found the exact point at which someone deleted the "missing" views... Very useful piece of software.

Even better now, I can say to people yes, tell me if something goes missing, but i can now actually check if you hit the delete button..!

Some days are just worth getting up for.. ;-)
      I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it

Comment

Dave,

Just thinking about your problem, are you sure you dont need Revit Server for your setup..? As I understand, if you have anyone accessing the project from another routers range or DNS if you like, Revit will see this differently and can cause problems. Unless of course your servers are virtualised onto the cloud.

We had something similar, where we set up a shared network drive between 2 geographically separate offices (still within company network, but extra routers in the mix.) We thought if the offices where sharing the exact same network drive, we should be OK. But because Revit was hopping between different Router setups, subnets etc, it was returning big errors and crashes. Also there were problems with files being sync'd differently. It sounds like the cloud is almost a little later in getting its setup info than the rest of the project, like a lag or similar.

Of course my experience of Revit server is fairly (very) small in reality, so could be way off..!

Comment