scheduled door is no longer in scope of work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scheduled door is no longer in scope of work

I'm revising a set of drawings, and one of the revisions is that a new door has been deleted from the scope of work. Deleting the door deletes its row from the door schedule. In the past (Autocad world), I leave that door's number in the schedule, replace its information with "not used", and cloud the change.

Is there a way in Revit to keep the door number in the schedule so this change can be documented and clouded, and if not (and probably not), can you tell me how you're handling this on schedules when the change should be clouded?

This is one of those times when I'd ask why do you need to document something that's no longer there? I mean, how much design legacy tracking is in your other schedules - or is it just doors you need to do this for? Is it not enough to keep the door legend (elevation, however you do yours) with a strikethrough?

For what it's worth, I'm not saying I've the answer - at the moment we have a type-count schedule under each of our elevations (I hate them as they fill up the browser) which provide a quick "count" check between sheet prints - but the full instance-list schedule remains a running snapshot.

Comment

I typically put a cloud somewhere either between the 2 numbers of the door that is gone or around them so the contractor will see that something has changed there and compare to the previous issuance. Once it's gone though, it's out of the schedule.

Comment

Perhaps you could place that door on a separate Phase? Not sure about how the Schedule Filters would work, along with Revisions.....just a thought.
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

You CAN do it with schedules and Filters, as long as you put the door on a later phase, and put the Phase Filter on Show All... But if you have existing doors you want to schedule this goes out the window. Generally, i try to tell people to avoid the old hat method of clouding door schedules (Where we physically cloud the lines of the schedule). Reason being schedules in Revit are very whack-a-mole-ish, in that they can jump a line up or down for a number of reaosns (Long values, add a row, delete a row, etc). So if i have to cloud a schedule, i cloud the entire schedule. Then, ill send a corresondance to the project team telling them what doors are gone or added or changed.

The other option is just open a door family, do a save as, and delete all the geometry. And leave it in the project, and it just wont cut or show up anywhere, lol. (Hackish)
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. This is a case of old dogs (me and everyone I work with (sorry, everyone I work with) ) and new tricks (Revit). Unfortunately, the old dogs call the shots and expect changes to be clouded. Regarding phases: in this case, I've added a parameter "scope of work" to filter which existing and new doors are included in the schedule. My solution was to note with a piece of clouded text at the bottom of the schedule "door _ deleted" (crappy but quick). Adding an invisible door sounds problematic down the road. Thanks again to all.

Comment

Yeah, i would never do the invisibile door thing either... Unless someone forced me to have a blank row. Then i would, since its a little cleaner than manually controlling phases with another parameter. But yeah, its ugly.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Yep--back in the old hand drafting days, when this happened we would erase the door out of the schedule and then letter NOT USED into the field.
                Same with "dumb" schedules in Cad.

It would be nice if Revit had such an override for schedules, sort of like dimension overrides. But we are getting into dangerous territory here, as that feature could be abused and cause more trouble than good......LOL
                Cliff B. Collins
                Registered Architect
                The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
                Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

In January 06 I was working with a firm and this subject came up, I wrote a blog post about one idea, using a linked file to capture the eliminated door. At the end of the post I suggested a modified family too, not with nothing in it but one that has a different appearance and not cutting a wall so it too could linger in the project but not affect the wall or the rest of the model. The motivation for it was all based on the conversation going something like, "Hey didn't we have a door here before? Yeah, but it was eliminated for a different location. Really when?"

Comment