Copying Detail Lines from a Project to a Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying Detail Lines from a Project to a Family

I know you can't copy detail lines from a project into a family environment. Does anyone have some suggestions for a work around for this? Help me cheat! Basically we have a very complex desk family that was made as a casework family. During the design process "sketch" detail line work was created IN THE PROJECT that should have been created in the family. We now want to use those detail lines as references for changes we need to do in the family. They will be deleted once used so I will take any kind of out of the box suggestion.

We tried creating a detail group, then saving the group, then loading it in to the family. (didn't work) Also tried changing the file extension to a .rfa and .rvg (shot in the dark, but didn't work).

Thanks!
    Mia Frietze
    LPA, Inc.

Will the following work?
    1. Copy detail lines.
    2. Activate sketch mode for creating a floor or roof.
    3. Paste detail lines.
    4. Copy the detail lines while still in sketch mode.
    5. Switch over to the family view and paste.

edit:
    The above is the old method of converting detail lines to model lines. As such, you may try just selecting all of your detail lines, converting them to model lines, and copy/pasting those into your family.
    Last edited by darryl; October 10, 2012, 08:34 PM.

Comment

I changed my post.

Comment

Model lines did it!!
        Thanks!

(I didn't know you could do that!)
        Mia Frietze
        LPA, Inc.

Comment

My take would be to use export to cad file from that specific view, and bring it in to the family, depending on the complexity of what it is in the project. This might be legnthy sometimes, also, it requires some clean up afterwards as well. Just to throw out an alternative ideas.
          Philip Chan
          Practice Technology Manager | HKS
          http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you do that, you then need to be diligent to go in to the Object Styles, Line Styles, Linetypes, and Fill patterns, and delete all of the crap the CAD file brought in to your family, or your family is carrying it back in to the Project.

Darryls method is legit if you need to get something in there as a reference. For the purposes of copy and paste (and seeding object styles and linetypes, and linestyles), i recommend keeping a few dummy families that have all of your object styles created, with lines and small solids made of them. Ive never gotten far enough to have time to do that, though.
            Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
            @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              If you do that, you then need to be diligent to go in to the Object Styles, Line Styles, Linetypes, and Fill patterns, and delete all of the crap the CAD file brought in to your family, or your family is carrying it back in to the Project.
              You bet that I will clean up all those crap (object style, filled pattern, etc...) before loading the family!

Speaking of cleaning up junk, I found out recently that if you have (jpeg) raster image imported into the family (as a reference go-by), even after you "delete" it from the family, they are still stuck in the family. Good news is you can go to "purge unused" and there will be a check box where you can delete the raster image.
              Philip Chan
              Practice Technology Manager | HKS
              http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

Comment