Show Hidden Line Not Printing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Hidden Line Not Printing

I have a few footings that I used show hidden line on, they are visible through a slab. I can see them on the screen, and the print preview, but not when I print. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
    Sarah Foulkes

Not a Revit Robot

Hidden lines often requires printing raster rather than vector.

Comment

Tried it and it worked. Thanks for your quick reply.
      Sarah Foulkes

Not a Revit Robot

Comment

Originally posted by gdoherty0102 View Post
        Hidden lines often requires printing raster rather than vector.
        why?
        I just had a large project that we printed .pdf and submitted to the City, yesterday. This morning, my engineer noticed that a bunch of our foundations did not print, even though they showed up in our Sheet Views.
        I ended up having to print using Raster processing and now have to re-submit.
        I don't quite understand "WHY?" though. If Revit is WYSIWYG, and we can "see" the foundations in the Sheet View, why did they not print (using Vector processing)?
        Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
        AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
        ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment

I am not really sure... It works sometimes and doesn't others.

Another issue with the hidden lines is sometimes if I select a beam to show hidden under a plate, the beam will also show hidden then under the break line which looks like trash. This is fixed by raster printing as well.

I really wish they would just fix these so I didn't have to print raster.

Comment

It has to do with surface/cut patterns and the elements masking the below or elements not being transparent that are above. Its a two edged sword though. If you try to print wire frame this works but only if you do not have any solid or opaque patters. When these solid patterns are plotted even if it looks correct on the screen Revit will mask the line work behind it, even is its just a filled region what has a transparent background but a solid fill. If you try it with Hidden line you get the behavior that the OP describes and the solid patterns or opaque patters plot correctly. So wire frame plots solid transparent surfaces incorrectly and hidden line doesn't.... I think its backwards.

Vector processing is very different then raster. Vector uses elements and lines as objects in the output file, try opening a PDF in Adobe Illustrator, because of this the file size is typically smaller and much more crisp. Raster however does not retain any of the information of the elements, everything is converted to pixels. This style of processing is what Revit calls WYSIWYG. If you can tolerate the larger file size and when high zoom levels are used you see the pixels.... Raster is the way to go.

I really don't know if the problem is on the Adobe or Revit side. As of right now. I plot all my sheet vector and re-plot just my foundations sheets in Raster then merge the PDFs. And always I proof each and every sheet before I give it over to anyone.
            Last edited by Alex Cunningham; October 3, 2012, 02:54 PM.
            -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
              It has to do with surface/cut patterns and the elements masking the below or elements not being transparent that are above. Its a two edged sword though. If you try to print wire frame this works but only if you do not have any solid or opaque patters. When these solid patterns are plotted even if it looks correct on the screen Revit will mask the line work behind it, even is its just a filled region what has a transparent background but a solid fill. If you try it with Hidden line you get the behavior that the OP describes and the solid patterns or opaque patters plot correctly. So wire frame plots solid transparent surfaces incorrectly and hidden line doesn't.... I think its backwards.

Vector processing is very different then raster. Vector uses elements and lines as objects in the output file, try opening a PDG in Adobe Illustrator, because of this the file size is typically smaller and much more crisp. Raster however does not retain any of the information of the elements, everything is converted to pixels. This style of processing is what Revit calls WYSIWYG. If you can tolerate the larger file size and when high zoom levels are used you see the pixels.... Raster is the way to go.

I really don't know if the problem is on the Adobe or Revit side. As of right now. I plot all my sheet vector and re-plot just my foundations sheets in Raster then merge the PDFs. And always I proof each and every sheet before I give it over to anyone.
              I'm still a little confused. Mostly because ~some~ of my foundations plotted, but some didn't. I had slabs above the foundations, but we set those to transparent. Again, some plotted and some didn't.

I don't have Adobe Illustrator, so I cannot follow what you're saying in paragraph 2. (what's a PDG file?) I understand Vector = lines and Raster = dots. So, the WYSIWYG in Revit is ~only~ for Raster???

Well, I submitted a Support Request to Autodesk... I'm sure I'm not the only one. But it needs to get cleared up for sure!
              AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional

Comment

Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
                I(what's a PDG file?)
                Sorry "PDF" file.

I'm still a little confused. Mostly because ~some~ of my foundations plotted, but some didn't. I had slabs above the foundations, but we set those to transparent. Again, some plotted and some didn't.
                Are the foundations at different elevations? Wall foundations?

I don't have Adobe Illustrator, so I cannot follow what you're saying in paragraph 2. I understand Vector = lines and Raster = dots. So, the WYSIWYG in Revit is ~only~ for Raster???
                From what I can tell yeah... I haven't had any problems with Raster plotting.
                -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
                  Are the foundations at different elevations? Wall foundations?
                  It's a mix. A quick check shows that both wall and column footings are both showing and not.
                  However, all of the elevations are -2'-0" below the referenced level.

SO, while all the elevations are the same, I get some wall foundations showing while others don't. I also get some column footings showing, while others don't. :crazy:

Comment

I've never had this problem, but we use a filter to control how the footing reacts, because we like both sides of the footing to be hidden. =\

Edit: Also, do you have a link linked in that may be giving you problems?
                    Last edited by AHutchinson; October 3, 2012, 06:33 PM.
                    Adam Hutchinson
                    Engineer in Training
                    Integrus Architecture, P.S.

Comment