Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working between 2 computers not hooked up to a network with workset-enabled files

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working between 2 computers not hooked up to a network with workset-enabled files

Hello all,

I don't think this is a situation most people come across, but I figured I'd ask in case anyone has any good solutions.

We have 3 building files, each of which is linked into a "site" file that contains all of the sheets. All 4 files are workset-enabled.

For now, we've been working fine in our office network, but in a week, we'll move everything onto our laptops and head out for an on-site planning charrette. There will be mainly 2 of us working in Revit, maybe 3.

In the past, the process was: people working on separate computers on AutoCAD files and when a change was made, that person would put the file on a USB flash drive and the other person would copy/paste/overwrite with the updated file.

The PM is planning on using that workflow which would technically be fine, but since all of the files are workset-enabled, every time we transfer files from one computer to another, it will involve a "save as" to make the updated file the new "central" file instead of a local. It will work but it seems like there must be an easier way that has less steps.

Any ideas? I've briefly skimmed some search results of setting up an adhoc wireless network or using crossover cables or using a hub but since I'm not familiar with those, I feel like it wouldn't be a good idea to do that for the first time during a charrette in case something happens.

Thanks in advance

I'd buy a switch, and a cheap NAS to setup on the on-site location. The extra time and trouble with a USB flash drive is just not worth it.

I'm using a NAS myself, in my one man office, and can highly recommend the $200 Synology DS211 (Hard drives not included in the $200): Newegg.com - Synology DS211J Diskless System DiskStation 2-bay NAS Server for Small Office and Home Use
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Munkholm,

I have noticed your response to a few posts about networking/sharing issues of Revit files, and am guessing that you would be able to offer some insight on related issues that our firm is dealing with.

End goal is to work with a cloud or through improved server functionality to enable a single, central Revit model to be accessed and edited both in the home office, and from employees' homes when away from the office.

Short term goal is to share a single, central Revit model, and edit portions of this in the same way (home office/employees' homes), without cloud or server upgrades.

1. Do the cloud or server suggestions make sense for the end goal, and do you have any suggestions or specific information to pass on?

2. For the short term goal, are there easy ways to:

Comment

...easy ways to:
        a. Break the central Revit model into sub-components that can be remotely edited, and then re-combined. This would be similar, in my mind, to working in AutoCAD on the same file, with two users cutting-and-pasting information back into the central file.
        b. Do 2D detailing work over the top of the model (i.e. line work in wall sections), without this 2D detailing work being attached to the model. The problem we have encountered is that we would like 2D wall section work to be its own animal, separate from the central model (as much as possible), but syncing up the drawings always sends the 2D work back to the central model as attached, and un-editable if there is not a live connection to the central model (does this make sense?). It would be nice to detach this linework so it could be freely edited remotely.

Sorry if these questions are not clearly presented, or if there are obvious ways around these issues - I am asking with only the basest knowledge of Revit.

Any feedback you can provide will be greatly appreciated; thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
          I'd buy a switch, and a cheap NAS to setup on the on-site location. The extra time and trouble with a USB flash drive is just not worth it.

I'm using a NAS myself, in my one man office, and can highly recommend the $200 Synology DS211 (Hard drives not included in the $200): Newegg.com - Synology DS211J Diskless System DiskStation 2-bay NAS Server for Small Office and Home Use
          Our office is set up with a very similar configuration and it works well. We have the DS411+ with 2 drives, and a switch to connect everything to the router that handles the DHCP stuff. Setup was easy and maintenance is easy. For a small setup like it seems like you need it will work well.

My router at home also has a USB port in it that can serve as a fileshare. I haven't ever tried it but that might also work as well. Netgear WNDR3700
          Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
          BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

also if you have an unused computer (eaven with no monitor) you can skip the NAS part (just to be compatible with serial hardisks).

Comment