X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working with the Central

Dear colleagues,

I've got a problem with my central file in my company:

When I want to open the central file and get an local file for working, it can be that Revit opens the central file itself and doesn't wirte an local file.
    I can see this in the WSM and on the name in the Revit-Menu.

Also, when I want the for example move a window in my plan (also a command that have nothing to do with the Modell itself) the error, that the central Modell is in use and the command can not be finished, occurs.
    I have unfortunatly no idea what caused this Problems - I also don't get an answer in AutoDesk-Help...

Maybe some of you know this problems or know what I can do.

Thanks in andvance for your answers!

Best regards,
    Matthias
    Construction - Building engineer

Revit 2019 - Sofistik 2019 - b.i.m.m Tools

1. You shouldn't open the central file directly! The only reason for opening the central file, if you want to create a new central file with save as. If you just double click on the central file in file explorer, it will open the central not creating a local, so this is one of the reasons you should always use the open dialog inside Revit. Always make sure, that create new local is selected on the open dialog, otherwise it will open the central directly.

You can easily check if revit created a local file, the local file should show up in your Documents folder, or the folder you set up in options>File locations>Default path for user files.

2. Possible reasons for you get that error message:
    - Someone else is currently syncing
    - Problem with your network, or hard drive in the server
    - Two people using the central file with the same username

Comment

I am not opening the central file intended!
      The option to create a local file is activated - nevertheless the central file will be opened...

For the secone Problem I can exclude the three Options you gave me, sorry
      Construction - Building engineer

Revit 2019 - Sofistik 2019 - b.i.m.m Tools

Comment

Did you try saving it as a new central?
        Did you try audit?
        Try saving it as detached without worksets than saving it as a new central.
        Does this happen with all central files or only one of them?
        Does this happen an all computers or just one of them, others can still open it and work on the file?
        Everyone uses the exact same version of revit (e.g. 2019.2)?
        How the shared drive mounted? With ip address or with domain name? Is it mounted the same way on all computers?

Also checkout Dan's post about problems with worksharing, try his tips: https://bimchapters.blogspot.com/201...d-central.html

Comment

Originally posted by forestmister View Post
          I am not opening the central file intended!
          The option to create a local file is activated - nevertheless the central file will be opened...

For the secone Problem I can exclude the three Options you gave me, sorry
          If the local file box is checked, you are opening a local file based on the central file and are technically "connected" to the primary central file. If this is not what you want to do, you detach from central so that you are not working in the Central file but just a copy of it.
          Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment