Roadmapping a migration to Revit Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roadmapping a migration to Revit Server

We've finally had our Autodesk reseller come in and meet our external IT consultant - and they appeared to understand each other enough to report back "we" are good to start setting up Revit Server.

With new hardware ordered and awaiting delivery I've clearly got to think about our live projects :

Our biggest live project is a no brainer for RS as we're sending models back and forth between our 2 locations. The models aren't workshared yet.

Our second biggest live project is presently a single office affair - but even the models for that aren't workshared.

Our third, fourth & fifth biggest projects, although experiencing occasional bottlenecks seem to be fine without worksets - but they're fairly early stage - and I forsee more hands on deck becoming an isse in the coming months.

Now having dipped in and out of workset-related threads as they come up, I've had a thought about some pre-RS adjustments to how we've been working - and I wanted to run the thought by you guys:

Q1: Do I bind our multiple-building/model projects into one model first, make that a (monster) central file, then run the whole thing through RS?

Q2: Or should I still keep each building as seperate central files, hosted on RS?

I can kind of predict the answer is to do the latter, but we've been having real issues with coordinating types management. Okay so the "issues" are all user created - in that types management isn't fun and just doesn't get done. :banghead:

Even if I were there to watch their every move, there's little power in my hands to reprimand sloppy QA (believe you me, I flag it constantly, to the point where I feel like a dirty little grass) - so the idea of a "single central model" for these multi-building projects appeals in that a site-wide wall type edit is done once and once only, and doesn't need to be transferred/copied across/repeated.

I know such large model(s) would bring their own problems with worksets (with a team that have never used them! ) - but I just wonder if it would be a sound route to go? I accept the binding process will be fairly mucky with all the duplicated type-overlaps, but once that's done, I've just got this (crazy?) urge to have our projects as one file.... Crazy right?:crazy:

Youll regret binding them, Revit Server or no... Been there, done that, wont do it again.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Agreed. Revit Server does not do anything to allow you to work more effectively on mega-models. You are still faced with the same kind of hardware limitations that you would have using traditional Revit. One of the solutions that a project team of ours has done is to create a 'standards' model that also exists on the Revit Server. They are using Transfer Project Standards and Insert from View with that model as a source. I'm not sure how effective it has been for them yet but it is an interesting concept for sure.

Comment

Cheers guys - as I imagined that all makes sense.

Originally posted by jasonbailly View Post
        One of the solutions that a project team of ours has done is to create a 'standards' model that also exists on the Revit Server. They are using Transfer Project Standards and Insert from View with that model as a source.
        To date we've done this on all our projects - only not with an office-wide standards model (various protocol re: naming conventions and LOD agreements have meant we've not really got a company kit of parts) - and it works. When the users use it.

Comment