Using Dropbox Instead of On Premise Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Dropbox Instead of On Premise Server

Does anyone have any experience of using Dropbox with Revit? Does it work? What are the downsides?

i've used dropbox (and google g-drive) for a stand-alone models (non work-sharing) where i was the only one editing the model. it works well. my models were only in the 200kb-400kb range. so, for those types of models - haven't experienced any real significant downsides.

haven't used/tested those services for work-shared models, yet. but if you do, please report back your findings!, and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Our files can be 70mb or more so and we are looking at using it for maybe 10 or more users. I'm trying to understand it we should be using A360 or whether we can use dropbox as a lower cost option.

Originally posted by mdsharp5 View Post
      i've used dropbox (and google g-drive) for a stand-alone models (non work-sharing) where i was the only one editing the model. it works well. my models were only in the 200kb-400kb range. so, for those types of models - haven't experienced any real significant downsides.

haven't used/tested those services for work-shared models, yet. but if you do, please report back your findings!, and welcome to the forum.

Comment

Using DropBox for your central file will result in a load of hurt.
        Do a search in the forum for various discussions, for example this one
        Fred Blome
        Residential Architect

Comment

I've used Dropbox and Box Sync. It only works if it's a non-workshared model and you're the only person accessing the file, since it behaves like any other file. When I created a Central Model on one of these services, even if I was the only one, I would see file conflicts within the Temp files that Revit is always writing. I'd say about 10% of the time it would be a problem. But, every single time I tried the Central Model on Dropbox method with another person, it failed miserably. Every single time. It's a pipe dream. Do not do it.

A360 (now BIM 360) and C4R is an excellent low-cost option. It's low cost, if you consider the amount of effort and cost it would take to match the service.
          Tannar Z. Frampton ™
          Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by tzframpton View Post
            I've used Dropbox and Box Sync. It only works if it's a non-workshared model and you're the only person accessing the file, since it behaves like any other file. When I created a Central Model on one of these services, even if I was the only one, I would see file conflicts within the Temp files that Revit is always writing. I'd say about 10% of the time it would be a problem. But, every single time I tried the Central Model on Dropbox method with another person, it failed miserably. Every single time. It's a pipe dream. Do not do it.

A360 (now BIM 360) and C4R is an excellent low-cost option. It's low cost, if you consider the amount of effort and cost it would take to match the service.
            How about for the linked models only (from consultants not using C4R), have you tried that? I use C4R for my mechanical central file. Works great, but I'm trying to bring in mechanical team members and loading/unloading links is a nightmare.

Comment

A real NAS is less than 800 bucks. It blows my mind when people consider putting mission critical work product Revit files in hackish solutions like Dropbox and boxsync, and OneDrive, and then try to WORK on them from those locations.

It WILL trash your stuff.

Workshared Centrals need to be in a stable un-messed-with place. Not a syncing service, unless it's only one way (outbound). If you need people to access it remotely then you either need C4R, virtual desktops, remote access, or a cloud hosting solution. Period.

I don't even put content files on Dropbox. Lol.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
              Director
              Parallax Team, Inc.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Does bim 360 provide a suitable worksharing environment? Our institute is a couple of years aways from having own own department server for students, but i do want to introduce them to worksharing, and it would make their group work a lot easier for them. Currently they perform a mish mash of individual use of a dropbox model, or get to documentation stage and share up the sheets to do, with a resultant pdf merge between them and no final one project. Hardly the best result.
                Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Comment

You would need C4R, not just Bim360. Honestly, you could LITERALLY make one computers hard drive Shared, and put a central file on there, and have them access it.

"Servers" can be set up super cheap. I wouldn't even meds with C4R accounts for students, as you'll have to either name thrm S1, S2, etc, or change them every semester since it's account based.

Sent from my Phablet. Please excuse typos... and bad ideas.

Aaron Maller
                  Director
                  Parallax Team, Inc.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    Workshared Centrals need to be in a stable un-messed-with place. Not a syncing service, unless it's only one way (outbound). If you need people to access it remotely then you either need C4R, virtual desktops, remote access, or a cloud hosting solution. Period.
                    I'm not putting my central mechanical model on Dropbox (we work off of C4R), just the architectural and structural which are being downloaded every week from ftp to the local dropbox sync folder (stored in C but not a user folder). Once the new downloads are synced with Dropbox, my colleagues can reload latest and see the update.

The architect doesn't want to use C4R so I'm stuck with operating off the network drive located at the office headquarters. Problem is, none of us mechanical guys work from that office (we're on site or at home).

I actually got the idea from an Autodesk tech. He says many people in my situation have done it this way. I have yet to pull the trigger on this approach because I wanted to hear people's thoughts on this. I hope I've been clear with the distinct application of this dropbox method.

Comment