Emergency needed for C4R service being down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emergency needed for C4R service being down

Kyle, I sure hope you can see this soon... we have a deadline tomorrow morning and we are completely locked out of C4R because the service is down. I would suspect 24/7 cloud-based service that hosts critical project data would have a 24/7 support team? What happens when we have a deadline and we are locked out because C4R is down? Any ideas?

Hope C4R comes back up REAL soon... thanks in advance.

-TZ

Code:
    C4R Downtime Log:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    March 20, 2016 | Sunday   | Went down @ 7pm CST | 4 hour total downtime
    May    7, 2016 | Saturday | Went down @ 4pm CST | 4 hour total downtime
                                                      + intermittent connection issues afterward
                                                      (Scheduled Maintenance Downtime)
    Last edited by tzframpton; May 8, 2016, 02:54 AM.
    Tannar Z. Frampton ™
    Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Originally posted by tzframpton View Post
    Kyle, I sure hope you can see this soon... we have a deadline tomorrow morning and we are completely locked out of C4R because the service is down. I would suspect 24/7 cloud-based service that hosts critical project data would have a 24/7 support team? What happens when we have a deadline and we are locked out because C4R is down? Any ideas?

Hope C4R comes back up REAL soon... thanks in advance.

-TZ
    Can you save one of the encrypted local files on a user hard drive to a server everyone has access to? A horrible work around?

Or I am able to gain access to the A360 team hub where I can download the most recently saved model.

I don't know how many users you need access for or if your all in the same office but that might be a couple different options.

I am currently unable to access C4R models on my end as well.

Comment

Very strange but I am able to access a Revit 2015 C4R project just fine and open it as usual though.

Comment

Was just able to open a Revit 2016 C4R project on my end. Hopefully your having luck on your end as well.

Comment

I just got the word that C4R is back up and running. We already went to the Local Cache and Detached/Resaved as local Central Models and I am now working locally. I'll just have to re-upload after our deadline tomorrow. I'm not really a happy camper about this but at least we were able to continue on during the 3-4 hour C4R downtime. When we're paying this much in subscription fee we expect this not to happen and we feel like we really got cheated on this one. We've had this happen before, but not at crunch time so it was easily dismissed. This makes me want to rethink an alternative service such as an independent cloud NAS solution.
          Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

I just got the word that C4R is back up and running.
            Correct. After roughly ~4 hours of downtime, the service was restored to full operation.
            We already went to the Local Cache and Detached/Resaved as local Central Models and I am now working locally. I'll just have to re-upload after our deadline tomorrow.
            Glad you and the team were able to put in place a workaround to continue production.
            I'm not really a happy camper about this but at least we were able to continue on during the 3-4 hour C4R downtime. When we're paying this much in subscription fee we expect this not to happen and we feel like we really got cheated on this one. We've had this happen before, but not at crunch time so it was easily dismissed. This makes me want to rethink an alternative service such as an independent cloud NAS solution.
            I can assure you that myself and the product team understand the impact this downtime had on you and your team, and can't blame you for your frustration. This is the 3rd unplanned downtime of Cloud Worksharing operations in the 15 month history of the service. The ultimate cause was expiration of the SSL certificates, a critical part of how we encrypt traffic with the service. A retrospective later today will identify how it happened, and what we do differently to make it never happen again.

Trust and confidence from customer teams are the pinnacles of success for us, and we realize that we fell short of those goals during this downtime. More to come as we move forward.

-Kyle
            Director
            Building Design Strategy

Comment

Thank you for your response Kyle.

-TZ
              Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment

I just got the word that C4R is back up and running. We already went to the Local Cache and Detached/Resaved as local Central Models and I am now working locally. I'll just have to re-upload after our deadline tomorrow. I'm not really a happy camper about this but at least we were able to continue on during the 3-4 hour C4R downtime. When we're paying this much in subscription fee we expect this not to happen and we feel like we really got cheated on this one. We've had this happen before, but not at crunch time so it was easily dismissed. This makes me want to rethink an alternative service such as an independent cloud NAS solution.

Downtime sucks. I think we are all with you, on that. Especially on a deadline.

But an independent Cloud NAS Solution? I know some of that is frustration talking, but id be wary of making reactive decisions over a frustrating situation that is unfortunate, but alltogether not that bad. Considering said incident happened during whats considered (mostly) off hours, and they still reacted and got it back up ad running in 4 hours, i have to tip my hat to the C4R team. Dont get me wrong, im in the same boat you are right now: I dont have days off, or weekends. LOL.

But i havent seen a setup (ever), in all the companies ive worked for, that didnt experience *some* sort of downtime in 15 months. Three offices ive been at have seen critical day long server failures. Domain Controller failures. Ive seen the Amazon Cloud experience downtime. And, ive experienced certain faolures on my own domain, or with components on the domain.

Just this week i got an alert that one of my two backup systems wasnt backing up my whole server (this is why i now have two). I got it fixed but it was an hour of messing with it until i did... And that hour wasnt until two days had passed, that i could make time to fuss with it.

Ive seen a lot of the products that allow "worksharing, while sharing" from the private hackalicious ones to the super pricey ones. The ghetto dropbox ones to the Clarity ones. THe Globalscapes to the Panzuras, and the Remote desktops to the full VDI's. I havent seen a single one that i would wager gobs of money on NEVER having downtime, and that includes the VDI system that i currently ADORE. Downtime happens. Its ****, but it happens. 3 hours on a Sunday, out of 15 months? Thats not bad.

Just my two cents, bro. Working with Infrastructure stuff sucks.
                Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Consider also the odds that you'd be better able to maintain a server than a multi-billion dollar company like Autodesk. The odds are slightly in their favor.
                  Greg McDowell Jr
                  about.me/GMcDowellJr

Comment

Saturday, May 7th, 2016. C4R went down approximately 4pm CST. It's now 5pm CST and it's still down. I'm keeping a log of this happening. We have a deadline on Monday and we're pushing through the weekend with me and two other subs being completely down right now.
                    Tannar Z. Frampton ™

Comment