Revit Server and Sharing with consultants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit Server and Sharing with consultants

Once you've set up your project on Revit Server, is there no way to access that file outside of Revit?
    How do you handle the weekly transfers to & from consultants?
    It looks to me like the only way to send a file to a consultant is to open the file from Revit Server, do a SaveAs and then send that file.
    Likewise when receiving consultant's files, we have to open the new copy and SaveAs over the top of the old Revit Server link.
    Am I correct, or is there an easier method?
    We used to just copy the files. Now we have to open in Revit and SaveAs, which is a much longer process.
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

For receiving files, you are correct. Open with DFC and save as to the RS. There isnt a traditional RVT file on RS. If you navigate to RS, youll find a 0kb RVT file, lol.

For sending yours? RL your local file, rename it, strip your name off the end of it, and send that.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Thanks. That's pretty much what I thought.
      I don't understand why, but our "remote" office is resisting Revit Server and now they're using this as another excuse.
      "But that's going to take longer than before."
      They are insisting on finding every little downside to switching to Revit Server and basically haven't even tried to see the benefits.
      Right now we've got them on Remote Desktop, but if we are planning on growing the office, there's no way we can dedicate two machines (one in each office) for everyone.
      Dave Plumb
      BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Tell them you agree they dont have to use Revit Server, but that the RDP terminals are sunsetting. So they can work over the WAN if they dont like RS. Ill bet they change their tone in an hour. (45 minutes of which will be saving).
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
          They are insisting on finding every little downside to switching to Revit Server
          Someone correct me if I'm wrong (it's been over a year since my early RS headaches) - but unless said "remote office" are up for the challenge of using the hacked workarounds, the costs of "correctly" supporting an RS Accelerator (more OS-cost related than hardware) are prohibitive - sure, no more so than 10min+ STC/30min+ file opens via VPN/etc - but it is a factor.

Comment

That depends on how your company buys licenses of Windows. I mean, an Accelerator is a (somewhat) dedicated Server or Virtual Machine (now supported) running an instance of Windows Server 2008 (or Windows 7, although not supported). Im not sure i consider needing a single extra OS "cost prohibitive..."

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
              Im not sure i consider needing a single extra OS "cost prohibitive..."
              On the assumption you've some sort of volume licensing/distribution for your Server2008.... otherwise, IIRC, you're looking at a few grand just for R8 (if you want to go to supported route)

Comment

Im of the opinion (sorry) that if youre even in the realm of talking about "inter office collaboration" than buying one license of an Operating System like Windows Server, is doable. If its not, you probably need to reconsider what youre doing. Even so, the Windows 7 thing is ridiculously stable. So you can run Win7 on your Revit Server.

But unless you want to se up Personal Accelerators, you still need another machine, or another VM. I mean, the world isnt free, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
                  Once you've set up your project on Revit Server, is there no way to access that file outside of Revit?
                  How do you handle the weekly transfers to & from consultants?
                  It looks to me like the only way to send a file to a consultant is to open the file from Revit Server, do a SaveAs and then send that file.
                  Likewise when receiving consultant's files, we have to open the new copy and SaveAs over the top of the old Revit Server link.
                  Am I correct, or is there an easier method?
                  We used to just copy the files. Now we have to open in Revit and SaveAs, which is a much longer process.
                  Dave, you have two options: 1) Autodesk Subscription eTransmit tool allows you to package a detached model with DWG/RVT links from Revit Server. One drawback is that you are not able batch files for eTransmit - yet. 2) Revit Server has the Revit Server Tool, which lets you schedule an automatic local model to a network drive. The advantage is that it can be scheduled daily. The disadvantage is that it creates a local model, and the process should not be done during production. (Help : search for Revit Server Model Creation Command-Line Utility). hth.
                  Last edited by Markus; November 18, 2013, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Option 3: Reload latest at the end of the work day, then save locally, then close. Then use your local. No addins needed, no tying up another Revit License, and so on. Using a local file as what you transmit is NO DIFFERENT than using a central, since they have to DFC on the receiving end anyway. Only difference is the file name, and when they DFC that doesnt matter either. Personally, i strip my name off of it, but you dont have to.

Comment