Worksharing WAN solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worksharing WAN solution

I'm a student entering into an academic project using revit 2013, there's a group of 6 of us.

We've tested Worksharing across DropBox, but the performance is weak, and tests with just 2 people have proven that the likelihood of conflicted copies and file sync errors will be very high. I've thought about setting up some sort of Hamanchi server, or using FTP but don't know if this would work?

I've read the wiki about Revit Server. I have some experience setting up web hosting, but don't know what kind of server I would need to purchase in order to run a Revit Server. I assume I would need a windows server. Would this be expensive, or is it something I could set up for $20/month?

Are there any relatively simple solutions? There's a greater emphasis on reducing the likelihood of sync errors and conflicting copies, rather than on speed and performance.
    ag25
    Last edited by ag25; January 16, 2013, 03:06 AM.

I've tested exposing a Revit Server to the public internet and connecting via disjointed networks to share a project. It works and the speed is decent since you're not actually throwing full project files around (after initial local creation, of course).

The recommended specifications for a server running Revit Server are a little overblown for your needs. However, to do this you may need a co-located system or a VPS solution... running Windows Server, obviously. I doubt you'll get away with $20/mo for this.

For such a small group, you can utilize non-commercial internet service (such as home/residential) to host a Revit Server. I suggest experimenting with a repurposed PC loaded with Windows Server and Revit Server. You would need to forward the necessary ports (808 for service traffic and 80 for admin) to the internal server. Most common routers/firewalls include a feature to utilize a dynamic DNS service that you could employ to make accessing the server from remote locations easier. Some home/non-enterprise routers will also allow you to restrict what WAN clients can solicit the forwarded ports for connectivity (highly recommended since most residential ISP's frown upon users hosting services like this). Create your RSN.ini file with the dynamic host information and you should be good to go.

If the testing works out, you will need to evaluate how the "server" is performing for your needs. I've run a virtual instance of Windows Server and Revit Server with only 1 core and 2GB of RAM. While sufficient, 2 cores and 4GB of RAM ended up being more suitable for my testing needs. So, minimum for a physical box I would recommend a dual-core system with 4GB of RAM.. this should be easy to come by, if not something more robust.

Keep in mind, however, that Revit Server is a feature offering of Autodesk Subscription. Refer to your license agreement and/or reseller for details on how your situation is affected by this.
    Network Administrator
    Dallas, Texas

Comment