Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit Server - Unable to create new local file

Hi Guys

I'm coming acorss an Issue with Revit server that a haven't seen documented. I'm wondering is you have any ideas:

The client workstation is able to ping both local and central server.
    The client workstation is able to access and manage RSAdmin for both loacal and central server.
    The client workstation is able to have revit see the local and central server via the "connect to revit server"
    The client workstation can see the folders on both the local and central revit server where the file will be saved.
    The client workstation is able to enable workstaring and save the file to the local revit server in an appropiate folder. The Central server is mirroring that image as expected.

However
    When the client goes to open the file on the local revit server the "Create new local" file tickbox is not available, and when you select "open" you get the message
    "The revit server you are trying to access is not available dure to a server or network failure. if you have models from the Revit server open, save any changes locally and contact your administrator"

The interesting thing, if I change Revit to connect to the "Central Server" I can open the file with out a problem, but it takes time, as it opens it across the WAN.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Brian
    Brian Renehan

Melbourne, Australia - BIM Consultant - http://bimfix.blogspot.com

forgot to mention:

The firewall is currently turned off, during the testing.

Brian
    Brian Renehan

Comment

Sounds like you need to clear the Cache in all Local Servers. Look in the C:\Program Data\Revit Server\Cache folder (hidden folder).
      Also make sure none of the Local Servers or Central Server has any "locks" in place. Log into the Central Server and look in C:\Program Data\Autodesk\Revit Server\Projects and see if there are any files with a LOCK name that have a size greater than 0 KB. If so, there is a lock in place. This could cause the issue of not being able to create a new local as you describe. You can open the LOCK file with Notepad and delet the "lock" entry and save it.

Of course, always have the local users Run cmd and use ipconfig /release and renew and flushdns to refresh their IP address. We have had some hit and miss connectivity issues regarding DNS in our office LAN/network.

Note these important steps BEFORE attempting any fixes in RS:

1. Have all Revit users close Revit.
      2. Stop the Revit Server Service on all Local and Central Servers

If you have access to Autodesk University 2010 content, Robert Manna has a good class on RS called "Virtually There: Using Revit Server with Geographically Dispersed Teams". It covers the issues you are having.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by cliff collins; March 28, 2011, 02:30 PM.
      Cliff B. Collins
      Registered Architect
      The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
      Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

We had one computer that was doing that with its local server only... Turned out it just needed to be restarted, LOL.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Yes, the old Restart can sometimes work wonders.

( The car runs better with the keys in it, as someone once said.)
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Thanks Guys

Unfortunately those items were not able to resolve the problem.
            This is the first time we are testing Revit server. There are no locks on any of the items. So even if we create a new folder and put a central file up on it, following closing the file and then reopening it, it comes up with the above message.

Any other suggestions would be great.
            Thanks
            Brian
            Brian Renehan

Comment

Hey Brian.

How funny....earlier today, we had the identical symptoms you outlined at the beginning of this thread. I swear i could have typed the same post line by line and signed my name to it.

Our problem was a botched installation. Fortunately, we were able to resolve the problem. While we ended reinstalling RS, i suspect that it was simply a case of improperly configured settings. When i get back to the office tomorrow, i can find out exactly which ones we missed and post back. I'm guessing that you've already verified your settings/installation? FWIW, we used the advice posted on Jame Wong's blog for our successful reinstall. Check out the first video. http://thejame.wordpress.com/2010/10...time/#comments.

Hope this helps.
              - Jon

Comment

I'm not sure what the exact setting is but we had similar problems on some of our local servers. It had to do with the permissions settings of the Cache folder basically not allowing users to modify that folder. Essentially it is read only. Similar to you, we could access the Central Server directly without any problems. Grab your savviest network admin type of guy and see what he can do. Sorry I don't have a more specific explanation. I will try to follow up later.
                Jason

Originally posted by kingjosiah View Post
                Hey Brian.

How funny....earlier today, we had the identical symptoms you outlined at the beginning of this thread. I swear i could have typed the same post line by line and signed my name to it.

Our problem was a botched installation. Fortunately, we were able to resolve the problem. While we ended reinstalling RS, i suspect that it was simply a case of improperly configured settings. When i get back to the office tomorrow, i can find out exactly which ones we missed and post back. I'm guessing that you've already verified your settings/installation? FWIW, we used the advice posted on Jame Wong's blog for our successful reinstall. Check out the first video. http://thejame.wordpress.com/2010/10...time/#comments.

Hope this helps.
                - Jon

Comment