X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[09/2011] - Competent Text Editor

Applies to: - All Verticals

New Feature / Problem:
    The problem is Revit text editor is surpassed by a 5 year old child with crayons. Even simple things like tab justification fall apart based completly off of the zoom level of your view. Bulleting that cant have dobule spaces. I am sure people will chime in here with more shortcomings with the text editor.

Why do you need this Feature / Why is it a Problem:
    Revit is a BIM software. Thus far it has the B and the M portions well takes care of. Now its time for the INFORMATION part. We need to be able to convey the information via text and notes. Some notes are short... while others are long. Even just having basic text editing capabilities would be a added feature.

Workflow:
    TX, Place text.

Editing mode similar to AutoCAD.

Benefits:
    Consistant reliable text boxes in Revit.

Attachment comments:
    2011-10-12_1532 - Alex_Cunningham's library
    -Alex Cunningham

Would be nice... But not more than that. I stopped spending precious time and brain cells getting worked up about that a LONG time ago. Just not worth the :banghead:

(and yes, I do have the pages of notes and stuff. I'm just focussing on my awesome drawings and modelling skills which blow peoples minds and leave them unable to utter anything at all... :laugh:
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

All I really want is for a text field elements to have the standard 8 grip points with true alignment options.

Comment

Like in the video shown... why cant my text be consistent? Drives everybody nuts!!

and Martijn... not all of us have your mad elite modeling skillz. The text editor should not be something that drive us nuts and defiantly should not be something we even have to think of spending a lot of time with.
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
          Like in the video shown... why cant my text be consistent? Drives everybody nuts!!

and Martijn... not all of us have your mad elite modeling skillz. The text editor should not be something that drive us nuts and defiantly should not be something we even have to think of spending a lot of time with.
          You're right of course (geez, didn't know it was bothering you that much :hide

Let me rephrase:
          This has been sucky since 5.1, my first Revit version. This has been a major wishlist item since 5.1. Where did it get those of us getting worked up since 5.1? We can now add a bulleted list, wooptie-f****g-doo...
          I refuse to let my annotation days get spoiled by that crap and started to not care anymore a long time ago.
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

So thats it... AutoDesk wins? HELL NO!!! They should focus on things that drive people away from Revit and not the things that will bring people in.

They have software, and recently made it easier to purchase, for rendering. STOP giving us more rendering things that all you do is bolt on from a different program. BOLT ON A F&^$ING TEXT EDITOR FFS!!!
            -Alex Cunningham

Comment

You can look at it this way....Who cares about the "AutoCAD" text editor, don't want it... If I am forced to use True Type Fonts only, then I should have an editor similar to Microsoft Word...Even Wordpad works better...Current Revit is like Notepad.
              Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Current Revit editor is worse than notepad. Autodesk must help their faithful Revit users keep their hair from turning grey.

Comment

I couldnt agree more - it needs some serious work.
                  Id put "tags" under this heading as well, at least allow us to push/pull the width
                  Alex Page
                  RevitWorks Ltd
                  Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
                    So thats it... AutoDesk wins? HELL NO!!! They should focus on things that drive people away from Revit and not the things that will bring people in.

They have software, and recently made it easier to purchase, for rendering. STOP giving us more rendering things that all you do is bolt on from a different program. BOLT ON A F&^$ING TEXT EDITOR FFS!!!
                    If a crappy text editor drives people away from using Revit, than those people are idiots. Would i like a better "Editing mode" for Annotations? Yes. Did you see how i phrased that? I would like TAG and KEYNOTE justification and width to be by instance, not by familyt definition: The way Dynamic annotations are in ACA. I would like Font control and styles to be changeable project wide, instead of having to open up 185 families to cover it all. I would like to edit Tag Font styles and alignments, and sizes and justifications globally at the project level, and to get them in and out of a project just as much. Id love to grab one Keynote and make it bold, grab another and make it longer, grab another and make it narrower, without having to juggle ridiculous families and options. Id like to have Keynotes that didnt need a stupid 3 inch long invisible line to make the leader stick out from the right location.

But to edit TEXT? To justify and bullet and get better GRIPS on TEXT? I couldnt possibly care any less, than i care right now. In fact, ill be offended if and when they waste development time and money on the one most completely unintelligent tool in the program.
                    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment