This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Revit Architecture] - Tying profile to family type parameter in sweeps

Applies to: - Revit Architecture (maybe all verticals?)

New Feature / Problem:
    Provide a method to tie the profile of a sweep to a family type parameter, in the same way as in other families there is a Label parameter to tie a nested family with a family type parameter.

Why do you need this Feature / Why is it a Problem:
    If you have a sweep in a family, such as in a line-based family, for an item that needs several profiles, it would be useful to have the ability to swap that profile by simply changing the sweep family to another type in the project, or by selecting types from a catalog, instead of doing workarounds with visibility parameters in the family editor, or creating one family per each different profile, or opening the family from the project to change the profile manually, with the risk of affecting other sweeps already inserted.

Workflow:
    The desired workflow would be: in the family editor, select the sweep; next to the profile parameter, include a button to tie the profile to the family type parameter, or... select the profile, and in the Label parameter, specify the name of the family parameter.

Benefits:
    Flexibility, speed, ease of use of the family into the project.
    Consistency with other methods in the family editor.
    Ability to use a catalog file to produce different versions of a sweep by changing the type.

Attachment comments:
    The illustration shows that the profile and the family type parameter are disconnected in the family editor, and therefore, creating types with family type parameters is useless.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Alfredo Medina; October 1, 2011, 12:33 AM.
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

I thought this was possible? Or am I confusing the ability within system families? It would be lovely for framing & louvre elements.

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
      I thought this was possible? Or am I confusing the ability within system families? It would be lovely for framing & louvre elements.
      You can't do this currently. You can't assign a family parameter to a profile. It is grayed out. I was trying this just last week and ran into the same problem. You have to go all the way into editing the family to switch out the profile.
      Jeff Hanson
      Sr. Subject Matter Expert
      Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

YES PLEASE!!!
        This has been a long standing frustration!
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Yep. Second that request.

And while the Factory is at it, make sweeps Schedulable for quantity take-off ( Material, etc. )
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Originally posted by cliff collins View Post
            make sweeps Schedulable for quantity take-off ( Material, etc. )
            From within a family? That'd be nice.

Comment

I know a while back I remember thinking this same thing, but now find my self asking "Why not different families for different profiles?"
              Last edited by rkitect; October 4, 2011, 06:19 PM. Reason: re-word
              .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment