X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Revit Architecture] - Edit Color Schemes

Applies to: - Revit Architecture

New Feature / Problem:
    We need the ability to edit Color Schemes after they are created. Currently, for example, we set up Color Schemes for Departments to create colored plans by Department. Once the Departments are created, they can not be edited--they are greyed out.

Why do you need this Feature / Why is it a Problem:
    We need to be able to make changes to Color Schemes and Departments on the fly.

Not having this ability is a real problem and creates a lot of manual editing.

Using Transfer Project Standards unfortunately does not help---it actually ADDS in items from the other Project or Template and doesn't OVERWRITE the current Color Scheme in the Project.

Simply put: We need editing tools for Color Scheme--options to Delete Departments, Rename Departments, and make other edits to Color Schemes as required.

Workflow:
    Create a Color Scheme ( for Rooms by Departments as an example )
    Add Departments and assign colors--( currently this works well.)
    Delete Departments
    Rename Departments

Benefits:
    Major time savings in editing Color Schemes on the fly.

Edit and produce Colored Plans much faster--saves hours on large projects--could be as much as an entire day on big jobs.

Attachment comments:
    Cliff B. Collins
    Registered Architect
    The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
    Autodesk Expert Elite

Correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you edit this easily from a room schedule, sorted by department, 'itimize every instance' off? Probably not until you create one room for each department that needs editing. I'll check tomorrow, if not then you've got my vote.
    There must be a better way...

Ekko Nap
    Professional nitpicker, architect, revit consultant, etc.

Comment

I too don't really understand the issue - or at least have never encountered the described issue.

But it does echo a recent thought I've had, spurred by a recent case of having to set up filters-by-every-type to colour walls for a BREEAM study we've been doing.... wouldn't it be nice if Colour schemes could be applied to ALL things, not just rooms and areas.

ie. "Colour override all (different) <category> types like so"

Now that would seriously get my vote. :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by ekkonap View Post
        Correct me if i'm wrong, but can't you edit this easily from a room schedule...
        You are correct. The color scheme just reads what's included in the Department parameter of the rooms. Notice that from the Color Scheme dialog, you can create new Departments, (+ symbol), and you can delete them (- symbol), UNLESS there is at least one room with that value already assigned in its Department parameter. So, if you have not entered any values in the rooms yet, yes, you can create and delete departments. But you cannot rename any entry, though, and that is where Cliff's wish would be nice to have.
        Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Alf explained it better than I did. I'm saying that once Departments names are input, there's no way to edit them. Believe me, it's not fun on a huge project with 200 departments--and it makes people comment " I thought Revit was so much faster than _______ and it is all parametric and automatic".......etc.

The only way to combat this is to make sure that only an approved Template with the correct Department names is loaded when the project is created, and then to strictly enforce rules for adding Department names according to rigid standards---LOL. All it takes is ONE incorrect Department and then you are STUCK with it--multiply that by 10 users and hundreds of Departments = HUGE MESS and a WASTE OF TIME.

So again--the Wishlist item is: Edit/Delete "Current Departments" Tool.
          Last edited by cliff collins; September 29, 2011, 02:55 PM.
          Cliff B. Collins
          Registered Architect
          The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
          Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Well, when you put it like this: Yes, please... Besides that: if you add a Department from schedule / Room property, you'll need to go into the Color Scheme Editor in order to edit it.
            Although I also like the suggestions about Color Schemes being available for all categories.
            Martijn de Riet
            Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
            MdR Advies
            Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment