X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[All Verticals] - "Real" Camera-like "Physical" Views

Applies to: - All Verticals

New Feature / Problem:
    At present views are placed, and represented by, view-based entities (elevation head, section line, callout region, 3D Perspective Camera origin+FOV, 3D Axonometric section box, etc)

These, once placed, then act independantly of the model, meaning that when projects are relocated or when elements in view are repositioned, the views "lose" their desired subject matter and need realignment.

It would be nice if we could place/locate views as "pseudo-real" objects - (much in the same way cameras are placed in Max) - so that they also move with model geometry & position (if so desired). It would also be nice if they could be associated to elements, or assigned relationships ie. always position "here" looking at "there" (or "that")

Why do you need this Feature / Why is it a Problem:
    The duality of Revit as a platform to model AND document falls over, or at least falters, when one has to return to their (documenting) views and manually correct them when such changes to the (model) are made.

A cube-shaped building may only need 4 elevations retrospectively amended, but buildings with multi-faceted geometry easily ramp up the number of views - and the task becomes onerous and vexsome, to say the least.

Workflow:
    Each "View" category acquires a physical represntation, (ie. a camera object) - the object denoting which appears on a new sub-category of each (to be typically set by default to not print or export) - once placed, these view objects/cameras move/rotate/align like any other real object in the 3D environment.

Benefits:
    Time saving on an extra ordinary magnitude. And that's surely a good thing.

Attachment comments:
    It wouldn't be the biggest game changer ever, but it would certainly be nice, don't you think?

And yes, apologies if this one's been done before.

Something tells me that you forgot to vote on this yourself But great wish list item!
    Klaus Munkholm
    "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
      Something tells me that you forgot to vote on this yourself
      I assumed by it being my suggestion, it would default vote me as a clear support of "can't live without" but that'll teach me for making assumptions!

Comment

What really would make my day if there was any way to be in the Camera View and nudge it around for the perfect Field of View. Now I have tile windows and fiddle in plan view with the camera settings then cross-eye over to the camera view to see if this is the desired effect, and so on...
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
          What really would make my day
          Well improvements to the 3D camera views would be welcome, but would be more an evolution than a additional feature. I'd be all for an overhaul - but for now I just wanted to set this idea/suggestion in motion for consideration should there be any revisit by Revit's dev. team.

Comment

(for the record i voted "can't live without it" for this poll)
            Maybe it's not really what you're asking for...but I "assume" you guys have tried the navigation wheel :hide: in your camera views? Even though it behaves more like a wild analogue joystick than a definitive digital input I have found I can often walk/pan/look/move around enough to get what I want, in full screen, with no "tile all windows" needed. Good for adjusting duplicate views and can be very useful for walkthrough cameras or even just having a look/zoom around at your handiwork. You can even rewind your view history.

Edit: using the nav wheel also allows the cursor to go off one side of screen and come back on the opposing side. ie. you can keep your finger pressed on your (mmb for pan) and pan in one direction for ever. This is not possible without using the nav wheel, but I'll let you decide if this is useful or not :blah:
            Last edited by elton williams; September 16, 2011, 11:30 AM.
            There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

Originally posted by elton williams View Post
              (for the record i voted "can't live without it" for this poll)
              Maybe it's not really what you're asking for...but I "assume" you guys have tried the navigation wheel :hide: in your camera views? Even though it behaves more like a wild analogue joystick than a definitive digital input I have found I can often walk/pan/look/move around enough to get what I want, in full screen, with no "tile all windows" needed. Good for adjusting duplicate views and can be very useful for walkthrough cameras or even just having a look/zoom around at your handiwork. You can even rewind your view history.
              Well, I should be the one to :hide:, cause the answer is no. Haven't tried it yet cause I HATE it in ordinary views. But might just be suitable for Camera Views. Thanks!
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I've been playing with it more and more these days for exploration of models - looking around and having a poke at our designs in a FPS-game style.

Although it's jumpy (in operation, but that's just getting used to the tool GUI) it's pretty useful for correcting/adjusting a camera view over the old "eye height/target height" and "select object and orbit about it for focusing" methods... it's also suprisingly snappy at redrawing your view as you walk - far faster than how walkthroughs generate anyway.

But yes, it is a bit different to the request!

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
                  I've been playing with it more and more these days for exploration of models - looking around and having a poke at our designs in a FPS-game style.

Although it's jumpy (in operation, but that's just getting used to the tool GUI) it's pretty useful for correcting/adjusting a camera view over the old "eye height/target height" and "select object and orbit about it for focusing" methods... it's also suprisingly snappy at redrawing your view as you walk - far faster than how walkthroughs generate anyway.

But yes, it is a bit different to the request!
                  agreed, i don't mean to go off topic...

"It would be nice if we could place/locate views as "pseudo-real" objects - (much in the same way cameras are placed in Max) - so that they also move with model geometry & position (if so desired). It would also be nice if they could be associated to elements, or assigned relationships ie. always position "here" looking at "there" (or "that")"

I'm using Max more and more for rendering because of things like camera controls (rendering speed is another) - and Max's AWESOME curve editor actually gives you that "definitive digital input"...yes, I would definately prefer it all in one package.:thumbsup:
                  There are no stupid questions, only stupid people

Comment

for 3D camera's and walktroughs, get it, nice. but I thought plans, sections etc. were already selectable by their boundaries and tags and therefore movable with the model? something like this will wear out your tab-key, granted, but it looks doable? am I missing something?
                    There must be a better way...

Ekko Nap
                    Professional nitpicker, architect, revit consultant, etc.

Comment