Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[02/2011] - More true 3d objects in Revit.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[02/2011] - More true 3d objects in Revit.

Applies to: - All Verticals

New Feature / Problem:
    There are some elements that are not truly 3d. Others are 3d but completely wrong and difficult to handle. Some of them, don't communicate, especially when we want to join geometry and make useless lines disappear.

Then we have to use some workarounds and I really hate this word because usually workarounds are for covering Revit's weakness for basic things.

1. Ramps. They should be exactly like floors, a multilayered construction. Strange they aren't, because even pads have layers and I really can't understand why this is not fixed yet...

2. Cols and beams. No matter if they are structural or architectural, I would like them with layers. Most of the times, walls are used and of course scheduling of materials is wrong.

3. Roofs. Although they have layers, they look really silly in elevations and 3d because the roof tile looks like a paint, it has no thickness!

4. Railings. the solid - usually lower- part of the railing should be a wall. Now, we have to make the wall and then add the railing on top... this is not good because we have both of them each time we change the dimensions or the shape of the railing path.

5. Railings, stairs etc... don't join with walls and floors, even when they have the same material so I get lines that I don't need in elevations, sections and 3d views

Why do you need this Feature / Why is it a Problem:
    I believe there is no need to explain why the above features would make Revit much better

Workflow:
    Misc

Benefits:
    Better 3d models, elevations, schedules.

Attachment comments:
    Last edited by JTB; July 6, 2011, 07:29 PM.
    Revit Architecture - 3ds MAX Design - Octane Render - and many working hours...

Originally posted by JTB View Post
    Applies to: - All Verticals

New Feature / Problem:
    There are some elements that are not truly 3d. Others are 3d but completely wrong and difficult to handle. Some of them, don't communicate, especially when we want to join geometry and make useless lines disappear.

Then we have to use some workarounds and I really hate this word because usually workarounds are for covering Revit's weakness for basic things.

1. Ramps. They should be exactly like floors, a multilayered construction. Strange they aren't, because even pads have layers and I really can't understand why this is not fixed yet...
    Agreed

2. Cols and beams. No matter if they are structural or architectural, I would like them with layers. Most of the times, walls are used and of course scheduling of materials is wrong.
    Could you elaborate? Cause I'm not seeing this problem... You can make any kind of column/beam you like. I created a family with a steel profile inside a concrete column/beam once. What seems to be the problem here?

3. Roofs. Although they have layers, they look really silly in elevations and 3d because the roof tile looks like a paint, it has no thickness!
    Can be done. There are several families floating around here to create a Sloped Glazing roof and apply Mullions resembling tiles. If you want it in 3D, you'll have to model it.

4. Railings. the solid - usually lower- part of the railing should be a wall. Now, we have to make the wall and then add the railing on top... this is not good because we have both of them each time we change the dimensions or the shape of the railing path.
    ehmmm, if it's a Wall, I want to model it as one. Railings could definately be better, but this is a problem I don't recognise as one.

5. Railings, stairs etc... don't join with walls and floors, even when they have the same material so I get lines that I don't need in elevations, sections and 3d views
    Joining? Only works if they are the same material, and that doesn't happen all too often with me. Attaching would be nice though!
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Cols and beams... should be like walls... in Greece 95% of the buildings, especially residential ones, are made of concrete cols and beams.. so they are like walls, concrete, plaster... and from 1-2 sides, thermal insulation... This is not easy to show in Revit with the existing elements.

Roofs.... Can be done but as a workaround and cannot be scheduled correctly. It is BIM right? I really can't understand why there is not one point of view for every building element... I mean, a multi layered roof would be shown correctly if the top layer (roof tiles) could have a thickness... not to mention that we should be able to unlock this layer and extend it... Also Revit materials don't have displacement so there is no way to make it look really 3d, even when rendering.

Railings... As with Stacked walls I would like to add existing wall types in my railing instead of modeling the walls or using simple rectang profiles. This would make correct sections and all changes would be applied immediatelly, by changing the railing path... now I have to change the walls, then the ralings... if for example I change the shape or the dimensions of the balcony.

Joining, attaching... Yes, walls should attach to stairs... the lower part of a railing (for example a rectang profile with white material) won't join with the floor (with the same material) and the line to the upper limit of the floor slab is always there.

Comment

The important ones (in my opinion) were all left out of your original post:

Rooms. They ARE in 3D (go look in a DWF), but we cant access them in Revit. Insane.

Topopgraphy. With the bogus rules for an arbitrary "Base elevation" for 2D views, while in 3D views it gets entirely stupid... No thanks. Make it work with an actual thickness in all views, like every other modeled item. That way when pads are used, you cna do 3D perspective Sections through it and not have it be stupid looking.

All of the items that get forced to a phony plan representation: Stairs, rails, some family categories, ramps, etc.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Thanks for adding these...
          Actually, I was thinking mostly of building elements, (the key word is "multi layered" because I want to have them like that in elevetions and sections)...
          that's why they didn't come in mind... but yes, they need a lot of work too, especially topography.

Comment