Room Name Alternates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Room Name Alternates

Yesterday, Steve Stafford posted a blog about Room Name Alternates. You can find it here...

In short, the post was about using Room Name parameter for abbreviations for when a name was too long to properly place in a Room (for instance: Toilet ladies, which almost never fits in the room. Abbreviated to T or TL in Plan Views). Problem with this is: it's not very useful in Schedules.

Steve's solution was to use an extra Shared Parameter for that. Create the parameter and modify your room tag to be able to choose between both.

I would like to add another (and imho much easier to use option): Key Schedules... With this one you can't change between abbreviation and full name in the room tags, but it has some other advantages that outweigh this.

Go to View > Schedules > Schedules/Quantities.
    Select the Room Category and set to Schedule Keys.
    Create a Key name (for instance Room Name)

Now add rows as needed and simply type in the name you wish.
    In the tags use the abbreviated room name. Use the Key Schedule to add a full name to the schedules.

This has some benefits to Shared Parameters:

1. You only need to type it once. Put it in your template and you're done. Shared Parameters need to be defined on a project base.
    2. You can add extra functionality. Lot's of Building Code rules are based on room useage. Using Key Schedules you can tie these to the Room Name. For instance Occupancy Load, Fire Load, Ventilation Requirements, Lighting Requirements, and so on...
    mdradvies
    "Mark Twain"
    Last edited by mdradvies; October 14, 2011, 03:40 PM.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

I do agree with you Martijn about all the extra stuff that can be done with Key Schedules and that the (little) effort of setting those up pays for itself over and over.

But wasn't the problem in the blog originally that he wanted to Tag the Rooms with their Name, only when it couldn't fit use the abbreviated name for the Tag?
    In that case we can't control it through Key Schedules, because we can't include a Shared Parameter in a Key Schedule.

Is there a documented reason as to why we can't add SP to Key Schedules? (my $0.02 would be that a SP could come pre-loaded with data from the Family and that could cause a conflict with a defined value in a SP that is mapped to a Key in a Key Schedule, don't know it that's true though)

Bjorn

Comment

The original purpose of the post was because people wanted to show the abbreviation in the Room Tag instead of the full name when plan scale didn't support the full name. So a schedule key is "dead to me"...for tags.

Comment

But you could easily go the other way around:

abbreviate the "Room Name" ootb parameter and place the Key Schedule full name in Schedules... The problem was that abbreviations weren't useable in Schedules. There's no law stating that the ootb Room Name should always be the full name... Then hide the Room Name ootb parameter column and you're done. Don't even need to change your tags for that.

EDIT:
        Agreed, it doesn't give you an option to choose whether you want to tag the full name or abbreviation. For me however it's very rarely the case that one scale does fit and another doesn't... Usually, a smaller scale usually means stuffing in more info in the drawing and it becomes impossible to fit in the entire name yet again.
        mdradvies
        "Mark Twain"
        Last edited by mdradvies; October 14, 2011, 03:21 PM.
        Martijn de Riet
        MdR Advies

Comment

Yes, needed to tag either/or in any plan so shared parameters were the only option...

Comment

ah ok. missed that demand. Well, in that case you're completely right. I changed the OP to reflect this.

Just personal opinion though, but I'm sticking with my Key Schedules... All upsides easily outweigh that one downside.
            Martijn de Riet
            MdR Advies

Comment