Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make a component family with System Category

Check out my post:
    What Revit Wants: Create a Component Family with Category set to Walls (or other system family category)
    Luke Johnson | Autodesk Expert Elite Member
    Author of What Revit Wants

Yeah... Theyve had a family template made by using that method, at this office since before my arrival. Ill tell you what i would do: Get rid of it immediately. They cause serious stability issues. They get erratic if things are hosted to them, they delete things, they cause errors and hiccups when a journal has to report a *category* for the family, and all sorts of other weird stuff.

Totally not worth the investment.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
      Totally not worth the investment.
      Thanks for the heads-up Aaron, I have posted your warning to the blog.

It is one of those hacks that might be super-useful in certain situations, but you would have to be very careful with it. I'm glad I put a disclaimer on the original post
      Luke Johnson | Autodesk Expert Elite Member
      Author of What Revit Wants

Comment

Dave Baldacchino had first posted this hack some years ago in AUGI, and I have messed with this hack just to see if it was worth using in a project. I did made a wall family and used it in a project, but you won't be able to host any doors or windows.
        Kind of like what Aaron said, it is unstable. I also made a ceiling family using the same trick but it had some weird behavior as well; of course ADSK will not support this either.

I am not sure this will be any different in 2012.
        Philip Chan
        Practice Technology Manager | HKS
        http://phil-osophyinbim.blogspot.com/

Comment