Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tag with multi-leaders

Hi all,
    I have to deal each day with tags (so do you...) and sometimes I want to have 2 or more leaders on the same tag. AFAIK it's not possible directly, except for annotations and text.
    I use as a workaround a dummy family (joined) so that I can had as many leaders as I want, same looking as other leaders in my project.
    Put the dummy next to your tag, in the option bar you may set the number of leaders you want.
    2 parameters will help you to adjust width and height.

Hope it helps some of you.

Feel free to comment and explain any other way of doing the same. Thanks.
    Attached Files
    Julien
    "Au royaume des aveugles, les borgnes sont mal vus!"
    P. DAC
    Follow me on Twitter @Jbenoit44 - Blog: http://aecuandme.wordpress.com/

Another alternative is this: Select a tag > Copy to clipboard > Paste > Aligned to same place. Repeat Paste as necessary. Select the tags; from the options bar, choose "Leader", and "Free end". Now you can move the ends of the leaders to different places. Then from the Type properties of the tag, assign an arrow to the end of the leader.
    Attached Files
    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment

Multi-Leader tags have been a wishlist item in our office since we started using the program
      Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
        Multi-Leader tags have been a wishlist item in our office since we started using the program
        I can see how they can be useful..but it really isn't a BIM way, so I don't really see this happening any time soon.

Comment

It could be done in a BIMmie way pretty easily. When you go to tag the subsequent items, the tool only works on those that are the "same" as the first. If any of the items changes and no longer qualifies to be tagged, that leader alone disappears, leaving the rest of the leaders in place. A list of no longer tagged items much like the current list of warnings, could be maintained to make it easy to re-tag those that had dropped out. Indeed, if the scope of schedules was expanded, it would be easy enough to use a schedule to see what items had and had not been tagged, which would be useful in its own right.

Beyond that, I created a Leader symbol for use in this case, and also to place a leader on some objects that don't have them natively, like interior elevations where the bubble is outside the room. The symbol has types for each, so if you decide to change the look of, say the Wall tag, you just need to address two places, the wall tag, and the wall type of the leader symbol. Horrible kludge, but the least horrible option in my oppinion.

Gordon
          Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

I can't even get a running list of dimensions when deleted, let alone a list of items that tags were deleted. I agree this would be nice, and that would be the way to do it. Just seems like quite a lot of coding.

Comment

Yeah, but you can't get that list only because no one at autodesk has bothered, not because there is some intrinsically difficult programming logic. indeed, it is probably an ideal scenario for multithreading. Perhaps some sort of intelligent tag monitor that runs in a separate process, and does't run at all if someone is fool enough to run Revit on craptastic hardware.

Gordon
              Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Originally posted by jbenoit44 View Post
                Hi all,
                I have to deal each day with tags (so do you...) and sometimes I want to have 2 or more leaders on the same tag. AFAIK it's not possible directly, except for annotations and text.
                I use as a workaround a dummy family (joined) so that I can had as many leaders as I want, same looking as other leaders in my project.
                Put the dummy next to your tag, in the option bar you may set the number of leaders you want.
                2 parameters will help you to adjust width and height.

Hope it helps some of you.

Feel free to comment and explain any other way of doing the same. Thanks.
                Originally posted by Alfredo Medina View Post
                Another alternative is this: Select a tag > Copy to clipboard > Paste > Aligned to same place. Repeat Paste as necessary. Select the tags; from the options bar, choose "Leader", and "Free end". Now you can move the ends of the leaders to different places. Then from the Type properties of the tag, assign an arrow to the end of the leader.
                Do either of these options take moving (edit) TAGS into account? I've used Alfredo's technique, but when I need to shift a tag, I gotta do both/all three/four/etc and that gets tedious and monotonous. I'd love to be able to "lock" the edge of tags so they can move in tandem with one another.
                Last edited by John McCamont; August 29, 2011, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John McCamont View Post
                  Do either of these options take moving (edit) TAGS into account? I've used Alfredo's technique, but when I need to shift a tag, I gotta do both/all three/four/etc and that gets tedious and monotonous. I'd love to be able to "lock" the edge of tags so they can move in tandem with one another.
                  Create a detail group. Select them all and group. Now they stay aligned AND you can reuse it (not quite sure how it reacts when it doesn't find a host on instance though)
                  Martijn de Riet
                  Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
                  MdR Advies
                  Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by John McCamont View Post
                    See if this video helps (first time I post a video here, let's see how it goes...). First, I show how to create the multi-leader effect, and then, how to move the tags.

http://www.screencast.com/t/rn8QRjxuH0pM
                    Freelance BIM Provider at Autodesk Services Marketplace | Linkedin

Comment