New Visibility Parameters - Off by Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Visibility Parameters - Off by Default

Some nice trick i found and i want to share. It`s good if you work intensively with visibility parameters.
    Usually, if for some reason you don`t use type catalogs, it`s possible to have a lot of types already defined in a family in the family editor.

In the development process of a family or even in a upgrade session of that respective family, you want to add a new visibility parameter that you want to be checked only in one type (or a few..2-3 like).

When you create this new parameter via Type Properties Button, you will see that all your existing types have that new parameter checked by default. So you have to select every type and deselect this new parameter. This can be very time consuming if you have some new added visibility parameters and a lot of types.

So in order to fix that, is better to make this new visibility parameters via "Visibility field right button" by selecting an affected instantiated object that uses this new parameter, or by creating&selecting a temporary created object (like a symbolic or model line) so you can use it`s "Visibility field right button" if the new parameter is just a switcher thing(not real visibility control) (than you delete the line). ATENTION, before press the "Visibility field right button" (so you can add the new parameter) you should uncheck the value of Visibility parameter in that field.

This way your parameter will be off by default in all your types, so you just have to make it ON in only one type(or the needed types).
    Last edited by gaby424; August 15, 2011, 05:39 PM.

Edit:
    added this fragment in the main description because is important for the trick to work:
    "ATENTION, before press the "Visibility field right button" (so you can add the new parameter) you should uncheck the value of Visibility parameter in that field"

p.s. the core of the trick has been forgotten at the first time, lol ..that`s way i`ve put the edit in the second post again to be sure the change can be become available for the users that already saw the first version.
    Last edited by gaby424; August 15, 2011, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Doesn't this work as well?

Make new yes/no parameter(instance)

enter 1>2 in the Formula field

hit apply, now the box should be unchecked for every type

delete formula

go uncheck box in the required Types.

Should all be doable in 1 go in the Family Types screen.

Comment

yes it works rep for you Yours is a faster method if you are in type parameters menu + if you want to alter existing ones. Very very cool. My method is faster if you assign the parameters directly via objects. Both methods will give us some steroids
        Last edited by gaby424; August 15, 2011, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Great tips, both of you. Now if only someone found a workaround for this problem when using schedules to add Visibility Parameters (specifically Key Schedules)... Those need 2 clicks to set to No: one to "ungrey" them, one to set them to No.
          Anyone?
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
            Great tips, both of you. Now if only someone found a workaround for this problem when using schedules to add Visibility Parameters (specifically Key Schedules)... Those need 2 clicks to set to No: one to "ungrey" them, one to set them to No.
            Anyone?
            Huh.... have you been drinking?
            -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
              Huh.... have you been drinking?
              LOL. Nope... Try this example:

Create a Room Schedule with Yes/No Parameters (in this case, tenants for a multi-purpose building). The schedule is meant to select tenants which use common rooms such as a common entrance area. You can check / uncheck the usage for different tenants.
              I created the yes/no parameters INSIDE the schedule field (which is the only possible way for system families that I know off). So, in the schedule, go to Fields > Add Parameter > Add Yes/No Parameter. By Default ALL yes/no fields will be checked and greyed out. You need to click them once to make active, and again to unchcek. See the attached.

btw: not drinking, just illegal visiting of forbidden forum sites whilst on vacation through a crappy mobile internet connection... I JUST CAN'T MISS YOU GUYS THAT LONG...
              Attached Files
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Whilst we're talking about YES/NO parameters...

I'm presently going around in circles trying to work out which combination of conditional statements I need to use to have a YES/NO field still selectable but ONLY when one other YES/NO parameter condition is true...

As in the attached .jpeg.

I want to be able to turn (the green boxed) "V_601_Z1" off at leisure (all of the "*_Z?" parameters actually) but have them still bound to the rule "but only if their respective building is being used"

I know I could just make two copies, one for one project, one for the other... but I like a challenge! :crazy: Although I think I might have bitten a little more off than I can chew here... :banghead:

EDIT
                Oh go on, ignore me, I worked it out as I typed out the original version of this post - funny how sometimes that helps.

Still, if there's a cleaner way...
                Attached Files
                Last edited by snowyweston; August 16, 2011, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Looks like its about as simple as it can be....
                  -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Sorry to drag up an old post, but try hitting the Spacebar once to check and twice to uncheck. This still has the same number of operations, but the spacebar does not have as much latency as mouse clicks. If you want to go fast down the schedule you can hit 'space' 'enter' 'space' 'enter' ......

[QUOTE=mdradvies;26331]LOL. Nope... Try this example:
                    Create a Room Schedule with Yes/No Parameters (in this case, tenants for a multi-purpose building). The schedule is meant to select tenants which use common rooms such as a common entrance area. You can check / uncheck the usage for different tenants.
                    I created the yes/no parameters INSIDE the schedule field (which is the only possible way for system families that I know off). So, in the schedule, go to Fields > Add Parameter > Add Yes/No Parameter. By Default ALL yes/no fields will be checked and greyed out. You need to click them once to make active, and again to uncheck.....QUOTE]

Comment