Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ceiling Grid Lines-creating them in Revit and showing in navisworks for coordination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ceiling Grid Lines-creating them in Revit and showing in navisworks for coordination

I am not sure if anybody knows this trick but I spent some time figuring it out so I thought I would share since I could not find any info about it online.

Pick a ceiling floor plan say Level 1 and duplicate the view and save it as ceiling grid level 1. Then open the view and import a ceiling grid dwg into your revit model. Make sure its placed in your model correctly (pin it) then hit VV and turn everything off in the model categories. (select all tab click on 1 check mark and then select any one of the names and everything is turned off). Now go back and check the lines box.

Now click on the manage tab and open the line styles from the drop down menu. The select the + sign next to lines and go to the bottom right and select New. Type in Ceiling grid and it will create a line style in the main menu under lines. Then go to that line style and change the weight to 6 and the color to Red, leave it a solid line. This will make the line show up in the drawing so you can see what lines you have drawn and don't duplicate your efforts.

Next go to your drawing labeled ceiling grid Level 1. Now go to detail line and select the line style ceiling grid and click on the select lines tool ( arrow over the green line). Then start selecting the ceiling grid layout lines in the dwg. This should place your red lines in your drawing that you can see, go through your drawing and make sure every line is covered. Then if the ceiling grid needs to be broken into pieces then split the lines where necessary to give the appearance of the room separations. Don't worry about making the outside box around the room because the room will be defined in the navisworks model.

Ok now you have all of your lines done hit VV again and select the imported categories tab and turn off the ceiling grid dwg. Now in your drawing select all of your lines that you just drew and look up at the top next to line style and you will see a convert lines tool, click on it. All of your lines will disappear in the drawing, don't worry. Go to View and select 3-D, in your project browser select the 3-D drawing and right click and select duplicate. Rename it ceiling grid-Level 1. Select the renamed view and hit VV, then select all, click on check mark, and click any name. Go back and turn on lines and the lines will appear in your 3-D view.

Select add ins tab and export an NWC. Open navisworks and append the ceiling grid level 1 to your drawing. Go to the selection tree and select Ceiling Grid Level 1 and right click. Select file units transform move in the z direction to the correct elevation and your done. If you have 2 different elevations select the lines that are at the different elevation, right click select override item, over ride transform and move to desired elevation.

I hope this helps somebody out. If there is a different way or easier way I would love to hear it. Thanks,

Sure seems like a lot of work eh? If I really really need grids in Navis I'd be inclined to distort the use of Sloped Glazing (roof tool). Steps are:
    • Create a mullion type that is the dimensions or even the actual profile for the tee.
    • Assign it to the Sloped Glazing roof type.
    • If you want the wall "L" create a different mullion type for that, assign it to the boundaries.
    • Assign the Empty Panel curtain panel type.
    • Pick wall to define the boundaries of the "ceiling grid".
    • Use a regular ceiling without a pattern set to the drop-in tile thickness and let them occupy the same space.

Get a little further carried away and use panels for the ceiling tiles. Put empty panels where non-hosted light fixtures should go in the "holes" for the lights. I used this approach a few years ago to render a room so I could experiment with getting better depth at the tile and tee edges etc.

Looks like the attached images:
    Navis 3D view - Type Properties Dialog - Revit 3D View
    Attached Files
    Steve_Stafford
    Mr. Revit OpEd
    Last edited by Steve_Stafford; August 10, 2011, 07:26 AM.

Comment

I too use the sloped glazing with profiles and panels
      Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

Us as well. Particuarly when you get to Lay in ceiling types that dont have perfectly flat and uniform panels. The revit Model Patterned Ceiling is a colossal Fail Boat in that sense. I'll either use Sloped Glazingor a Mass and Curtain System By Face.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Hi, I know this is not directly related to this thread but I have a query and thought people posting here might know, is it possible to see a reflected ceiling plan in Navisworks Manage? it very difficult to co-ordinate from a bottom view as it shows the building like a mirror of the plan... Even in revit it is possible to orient a 3d to only floor plan views and not RCP views... any Ideas? thanks!

Comment