Stairs and Railings Demystified

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stairs and Railings Demystified

We have a pretty lengthy write up on how to understand the every difficult Revit Stair and Railing tools. Check it out and let me know what you think! http://www.archdesignlabs.com/2011/0...revit-its-you/
    J. Adam Thomas

Owner - www.archdesignlabs.com

First off: please contact one of the admins to have your blog added to the blogbot. This will save you the trouble of typing a message every time and make your referrals more clear for us.

About the blog: nice stairs... would be nice thoug if you elaborated some more. For instance: it looks like you used 2 railings, one for the thread supports (with the Place on every thread option) and one for the actual railing. This is somewhat critical to know for someone to reproduce this.
    For me, it's not really the straight stairs that cause the problems. It's the so-called Dutch stairs. With one or two winding quarters. These have non-linear stringers which simply cannot be modelled correctly using the stairs tool. Any thoughts about that one?

btw: the example in the link isn't quite correct. In "real" Dutch stairs, the stringers aren't like this, they are fluent, but bent.
    Last edited by mdradvies; July 9, 2011, 07:02 PM.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Yeah I did totally leave out the fact that it was two types of railings. That would be really confusing to some! The blog got so long that I guess I tried to just wrap it up. Good catch. You can actually do anything with the stair tool! (Dutch Stairs included) There was a session at AU 2 or 3 years ago where Phil Read spoke about Stairs and he literally made every single type! These blog post on "It's not Revit, it's You" will visit dozens of problems within the next couple of weeks and I will be able to do different types of stairs as well.

Thanks
      J. Adam Thomas

Comment

Well, unless you found a way to make stringers curved in elevation (which they cannot be, only straight lines), it's not possible to make a real dutch stair. You can get close by segmenting the stringer line by thread in the corners but that's not the real world unfortunately.
        Martijn de Riet
        MdR Advies

Comment

How about you model it by extrusions voids etc? would it take +++++ time and its not worth to do it? I guess its silly question, but i am student and I learn
          Last edited by bangobeat; July 10, 2011, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
            Well, unless you found a way to make stringers curved in elevation (which they cannot be, only straight lines), it's not possible to make a real dutch stair. You can get close by segmenting the stringer line by thread in the corners but that's not the real world unfortunately.
            You can actually do it! Use the Railing Profile as the stringer that way you can control the host and what the line actually does. Its been done I assure you, just think outside the box
            J. Adam Thomas

Comment

I have an even better idea show me a sexy dutch stair and I will try to emulate it on a later post!
              J. Adam Thomas

Comment

Originally posted by tugaloo View Post
                I have an even better idea show me a sexy dutch stair and I will try to emulate it on a later post!
                Here you go... the stringers (and railing) should follow the model line visible in the 3d view...
                Attached Files
                Martijn de Riet
                MdR Advies

Comment

What version is the file?
                  J. Adam Thomas

Comment

@mdradvies:
                    you mean something like in the attached picture...
                    wich is typical swiss
                    Attached Files
                    [email protected]

http://4revit.com

Comment