Fill Wall Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fill Wall Alignment

Here's one that I've already made a video on but am revisiting for a project so I thought I'd share it here:

An easy quick tip to start off the day. Phasing can be a pain to even the most seasoned Revit veterans, and hopefully I can help you out with a little in-fill issue you may have in the future. When you demolish a door, window or any wall cutting object out of a wall, it replaces that former opening with an in-fill wall. This wall has no phase information but can be replaced with ANY wall type you have already defined. If you have a scenario where you want to replace the in-fill area with a different wall type (say you have a CMU/Concrete building and just want to in-fill with stud walls), this tip is going to be right up your alley!

The point of this is not only to change the in-fill type, but also how it is aligning with the rest of the wall.
    1. Demolish your wall cutting object
    2. In your next phase view, select the in-fill create by the previous demolition.
    3. Choose the location line alignment.
    4. Choose the wall type you wish to use.

Voila! Quick, easy and painless! Now just imagine with this info how creative you can get with your wall assembly to make this do just about anything you imagine!

Link to original TotD entry. Note that I switched 3 and 4, it does make a difference. Changing the location line after you change the wall type does not affect anything as far as I could tell in 2011.
    Last edited by rkitect; May 26, 2011, 02:59 PM. Reason: speeelllinggg
    .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

And btw: changing this wall type to an Curtain Wall is the ONLY way to replace a window/door with a new one having the exact same size and location. If you try to replace a normal door/window in a later phase Revit will give an error because the window isn't hosted in the wall.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
      And btw: changing this wall type to an Curtain Wall is the ONLY way to replace a window/door with a new one having the exact same size and location.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're stating here. I didn't have any trouble placing a new door of the exact same size and location in the filler wall.
      .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

Originally posted by revittotd View Post
        The link isn't working for me. But unless I'm mistaking it's not possible to have a window in a wall, demo it and replace it with a window from the same size in a later phase. Revit will give an error stating the door/window isn't cutting anything. If you have a way around this, please share cause it's now forcing me to either use the CW-method or move the window 0.4mm to a side in order to prevent this. Major pain when dealing with renovations.
        Martijn de Riet
        MdR Advies

Comment

Hmm... Have this been fixed? When? Remember having the same issue on a few occasions, but just did a quick test in 2011, and don't have any problems placing a new window of the same size and type over the demolished one at the exact same place...
          Klaus Munkholm
          "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
            Hmm... Have this been fixed? When? Remember having the same issue on a few occasions, but just did a quick test in 2011, and don't have any problems placing a new window of the same size and type over the demolished one at the exact same place...
            That's weird: copy/paste aligned gives an error as shown in the attachment.
            Actually placing a new window works fine... Also posted this in the Tips & Tricks...
            Attached Files
            Last edited by mdradvies; May 27, 2011, 09:36 AM.
            Martijn de Riet
            MdR Advies

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
              The link isn't working for me.
              Yeah, that would be my fault. I accidentally deleted that video while trying to make space for more

Here's the new link.

Comment

I'll have a look at it but I think I already know the difference. You actually have to place the window/door and not copy/paste/change type
                Martijn de Riet
                MdR Advies

Comment

I can see where this would be a big deal when you have dozens of of doors/windows to replace, but I'm not sure why this would prompt you to say it's the ONLY way to place new ones in the same place

I also just tried a paste aligned, and while the doors were placed correctly, it didn't cut the wall (no error though). Using Pick New host made them cut the wall but as you know there's no way to ensure they are in the exact same place when you use Pick New Host thus creating the original problem, yet again.

Comment

I have a different viewpoint on this matter.
                    Following the logic of model as it is build, if I want to demolish a window or a door, I would just demolish a family that represents that. But not the opening.
                    For me, the opening must be just a opening family, and the window/door to be demolished just the frames/glass.
                    That way, I get a very straight forward workflow with all schedules displaying the correct changes.
                    I am remembering a post like this in the AUGI forum, but my memory performance is in the inverse proportion of my alcohol level in blood right now...
                    Gonçalo Feio
                    "Ignorance, ignorance, sheer ignorance - you know there's no confidence to equal it. It's only when you know something about a profession, I think, that you're timid and careful." George Orson Welles

Comment