Revit Journal "Break Point"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit Journal "Break Point"?

Hoping one of you API gurus can help with a rather less sophisticated situation.
    I am testing journals, and would like to be able to set a break point that exits journal execution. I have been just deleting the portion of the journal beyond my "break point" and that works, but it would be so much easier if I could just have a line in the journal like BREAK, which I can then cut and paste wherever I want to stop the journal. Ideally something that doesn't dump you to the interactive mode dialog, it just ends journal execution right there and put you directly into the project ready to work.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

So it's my shallow understanding that Journals use VBScript, something that's totally different than the .NET API.

It's also undocumented and unsupported, so you're at a lot of risk for having something break in a hard-to-fix way.

So I wouldn't do a ton of work using Journals unless you're willing / able to either revise it heavily in the future or throw it away.

Anyways, that said, looking up break points in VBScript, well, there are a few types depending on what's going on. So you'll need to test if it's a Loop or what that you're trying to Break out of...
    Jeffrey McGrew
    Architect & Founder
    Because We Can, a Design-Build Studio
    Check out our new sister company Model No. making sustainable 3D printed furniture!

Comment

Jeffrey,
      Indeed, journals are a superset of VBScript, in that vbscript code included in the journal will execute, but there is a ton of Revit specific stuff as well (everything with a Jrn. prefix is not VBScript, just Revit stuff).
      I did try WScript.Quit, which is the common way of exiting a script that is running via WindowsScriptHost. But alas, the WScript object is instantiated automatically in WSH, and cannot be instantiated in the Journal processing environment, so far as I can tell. And if it could, I suspect it would allow one to exit a loop or other script code block, but the journal would then continue processing with the next Jrn... command. I have not done any client side VBScript, but I think there you only need to exit a loop or the like and continue code execution, and all the loop constructs have their own ways of exiting, but again it only exits the loop, not VBS execution, and not Journal parsing.
      As for the task, I am trying to update the RFO benchmark a bit. Delete the GPU tests that are of little value other than confusing the issue, removing extraneous stuff so that it is easier to maintain, and getting it ready for 2013. As such, it would be great to just have a way to just stop journal processing in the middle of that 15 minute long beast. In the meantime, copy/paste from the full journal into a working journal will continue to get the job done.

Gordon
      Pragmatic Praxis

Comment