Where should I put all this stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where should I put all this stuff?

Is there a recommended folder location to put your Add-ins (Windows 7)?
    I know the .addin files have to go to
    C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2012
    but how about the .dlls?
    I've been dumping them in the
    C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2012\Program
    folder, but several programs need a configuration file, or an INI, or some other file that needs to be written to, and users don't have Write access to ..\Program
    Should there be a ..\Add-in folder in the 2012 folder?
    Something under ProgramData?
    It would be nice to group all of the Add-ins under one folder and let people write to that.
    Would make it easier to install, too.
    Dave Plumb
    BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

If there's no windows installer it's going into a specific Revit install folder. If there IS an installer I check if it does more then putting the dll in a predesignated folder and an ADDIN-manifest in the manifest-folder. When it does, it gets relocated to my plugin folder.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Thanks for the quick response, Martijn.
      By "my plugin folder", do you mean
      C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Revit Architecture 2012\Program\PlugIns
      ?
      Dave Plumb
      BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Nope, I mean C:\Users\Martijn\Documents\002 - Overig MdR Advies\Autodesk\Autodesk Revit\RAC Plugin
        I created a custom folder so that it's accessible and easy for changing the ADDIN-files (and I can find it later on)
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

I have been creating installers with istool http://sourceforge.net/projects/istool/ which deploy the addin file to program folders / AppName +C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\Revit\Addins\2012. The dlls live in PF / AppName... I dont write any data to PF only use user settings, db or files in the drawingpath folder... hope that helps.

Comment

Originally posted by mdradvies View Post
            Nope, I mean C:\Users\Martijn\Documents\002 - Overig MdR Advies\Autodesk\Autodesk Revit\RAC Plugin
            I created a custom folder so that it's accessible and easy for changing the ADDIN-files (and I can find it later on)
            Been think of writing an addin manager to load / unload would be fairly easy and not require revit api just moving the addin files around i would think...

Comment