X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cliff collins
    replied
    My 2 c worth, having been down the road many times on this:

1. When RENDERING in Revit (or any raytracing app)--No matter how you try to match a Pantone, RGB, CMYK, SW or other "color standard"--the lighting and saturation will always change it as it appears in a Shaded or Realistic View. Even across a single wall, the color, hue, texture, etc will vary--as it does in reality--based on lighting and other environmental conditions in the scene. Rendering with a raytracer is not the same as creating an image in Photoshop, where you have precise control over color, without the effect of lighting/shade/shadow, etc..

2. A good way is to use your color standard in the maps to get "close", test render at high setting, bring the image into Photoshop and use the "color picker" eyedrop tool to "pull" the color property from the image, as a check.

3. For printed images, many print houses have special tools and software and will bring in a monitor calibration/synch tool to set the monitor color to the printer/plotter. This has to be done periodically, as the monitors need recalibration over time.

Leave a comment:

• cellophane
    replied
    I use Pantone or Sherwin Williams colors all the time. Both have an addon for CAD, not sure about Revit yet, but you can get on SW's website and they have a webapp that will let you pick a color by name and it will give you the RGB values for it. There are a few sites that will do that for Pantone as well. Since both Pantone and SW have printed materials I tend to do that since it's easy to get a client to look through a book and select "Stolen Kiss" as the red they want rather than messing around with the stupid color wheel trying to zero in on the exact color. I tend to default to SW because their online tool is easy to use and their technical support / specifications help folks are super incredible unlike some other companies I've had to deal with.

A lot of the final output depends on how your are dealing with images as well. If you are printing there are a whole slew of issues to consider that you won't have if it is on screen. If on screen you have to consider that every monitor has a slightly different color profile. I just installed two monitors for my boss and the color difference between the two was noticable and they were the same make and model.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/
    EasyRGB - The inimitable RGB and COLOR search engine!
    Materials-World.com

Leave a comment:

• rpict
    replied
    if you are rendering in max (or a similar package) the key to achive that, is linear workflow.
    just google and you'll find tons of information and tutorials about it.
    using this workflow, i had valuable success matching "real" rendered colors with vray.
    but no clue how to set this up in revit, you probably end up by trial and error lowering and rising rgb values.

-rpict

Leave a comment:

• dzatto
    replied
    I'm even less of a render guru. :laugh: I use Pantone to get close, then tweak it from there. It just seams easier to me to get close that way rather than staring blankly at the color wheel graph thingy.

Leave a comment:

• Munkholm
    replied
    I'm by all means not a "render guru"!! but FWIW, only trial and error seems to be working for me when matching colors. Like you mentioned yourself, there's a lot of things affecting the outcome, like bump maps, refractions, reflections, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Gordon Price
    started a topic Pantone and render materials?

Pantone and render materials?

Hey all you render gurus, got a color question. When making materials for high end final renderings intended for print, is there any value in using Pantone colors? I know for Color Scheme work and Consistent Colors presentations Pantone and a good PostScript driver make a huge difference as far as getting final printed colors to match expectations. But in a rendering, there is so much going on to change the color subtly, that you really don't end up with a pantone color anyway. But perhaps it is still worth while from a WYSI(close to)WYG standpoint?

Thanks!
    Gordon