Create Running Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create Running Water

Hello, I'm new here and so far lke the website. I was woundering if anyone knows of a good way to create running water down a wall or over rocks like a waterfall. I always having trouble making the water look realistic for these things and doens't ever look right. So anyone have any tips on how to make good running water in Revit 2012?

Welcome to the forum... Not sure what you mean by this: actual running water, or a still that looks like it's running. Both ways, Revit is probably not the best software for this. Still is doable, actual running​ not.
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

First, formalities : Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

Second, the hard truth : Revit is not the tool to even attempt such a task.

Remember Revit is an architectural/engineering authoring tool for a BIM workflow. The accurate (graphical) depiction of falling water doesn't (really) fall within the remits of BIM. I imagine the maths behind "flow" could be calculated with Revit (MEP) but the "results" (or output) would only be figurative, not illustrative.

Comment

If a still image is what you are after, you can use an image of "running water" that you like ( such as a photo of a waterfall in jpg format ), and use it in a Water Material, and apply that Material to your model, and it will render to give that appearance.

Revit can not "sub animate" or use "particle flow" as in 3dsMax, for animations. You could export your scene via FBX, bring it into 3dsMax and animate the running water.
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Animation tools within 3DMAX & Maya & Artlantis, etc. are the way to go for animating water, etc. Revit models can be linked in with 3DMAX & Artlantis (through it's plugin) are probably best due to linking capabilities.
          -J
          http://about.me/JayZallan
          Tweet, Link or Blog me up!!!

Comment

This is just using the water material over various swept shapes, but I thought it turned out very well.
            Attached Files
            Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment

Sorry for the confusion, I ment running watter for a rendering. So what I'm gathering from everyone is that it would be easier to just add a jpeg of running watter in photoshop afterthe rendering is done than make it in Revit. Is that the easiest and best way to do this? Thanks for the help

Comment

What's all this fuss about?

All you need is to play with the materials for a bit until you get what you want. The attached image was simply a solid extrusion with a nice bump material. Tweaked it until I was happy with the results [for what I was trying to achieve]. This was a quick 10 minute effort to show someone how to do a waterfall. A similar approach can be used for what you are asking.

http://gibsonhh.info:8081/rcr/view/Waterfall1.jpg

.Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

If you haven't seen CrazyBump yet go get it: CrazyBump
                  -J
                  http://about.me/JayZallan
                  Tweet, Link or Blog me up!!!

Comment

If you mean with splashes and spray, then I would find some imagery and add it after the rendering. RPC fountains have some "splash" but not what I think you are looking for. Maybe I would sugest a mix, create some revit water, then add the spray in PS.
                    Scott D. Brown, AIA | Senior Project Manager | Beck Group

Comment