Lumion 11 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumion 11 released

Not a lot to see for the near £1K (incl. 20% vat = about $1,320) upgrade price in the UK for Lumion 11 but nonetheless you can't help but love Lumion. In a World that is currently drab and gloomy here is a virtual world where everything looks pretty and jolly

This version comes with a nice tutorial right away, guiding you in a clear interactive fashion through the 'DOOM-like' movement controls to navigate scenes. This is my 4th version of Lumion but only now can I make navigation work reasonably well after following the tutorial. The answer is not to enable tablet functionality. Stick to the default mouse and keyboard and suddenly things are not as bad to move around a scene.

FWIW I really like it - some versions of software have a good feel to them right out of the box.

By the way there is an updated plug in for Revit in the Autodesk store.

Here is the 'what's new' on youtube:
    Last edited by willsud; November 17, 2020, 05:48 PM.
    William Sutherland rias riba
    WS Architecture Ltd

If it's of interest, Chris Welton of CWelton Design has done a really excellent video about the new features in Lumion 11. It runs to well over 1 hour and he mentions that he will be doing an in-depth video on just the orthographic views feature. Lots of stuff I would have missed without this video :thumbsup:

WS Architecture Ltd

Comment

Awesome, personally i also love Lumion. Especially for university, teachers love pretty pictures of my projects.
      I already have some uhh, version of Lumion 8 i already used for a long time. But lately i got my hands on the student version of Lumion 10.3, what a difference!
      Lumion 10.3 with a 5 minute edit of the Realistic template looks better than Lumion 8.0 with a template that took me hours. Also the built in forest and corner street scenes are awesome. :laugh:
      See pictures with this message, the first one is Lumion 8, second one is 10.3.

Might go ahead and ask the company that supplies the student versions for our school if i can already get Lumion 11 on student. Probably not, but its worth a try.
      Attached Files
      Most familiair With Revit Architecture. Using Itannex Smartrevit.
      Running Revit on:
      [Xeon W2125, 16GB 2666mhz, Quadro P4000]
      _[i7 9700k, 32GB 3200mhz, MSI 980ti G6 gaming]
      [i5 6500, 16GB 2400mhz, MSI 1650 Aero]_[Ryzen 2600, 16GB 3200mhz, Gigabyte 1650 OC 4G]

Comment

Wow! What a difference between the versions. (Nice scheme by the way :thumbsup
        WS Architecture Ltd

Comment

Reading comments on the Lumion support forum there is reference to a major 'under the hood' change having been implemented in Lumion 11. There is certainly some sort of nicer 'feel' in use that I can't put my finger on just yet.
          WS Architecture Ltd

Comment

Over the years I have moaned a bit (just a bit ) about the masks Lumion can create when rendering - sky, materials etc. When used in Photoshop they appeared fuzzy at the edges.

Something may have improved in Lumion 11 but it seems to me that I had just not turned off the anti-aliasing option in the 'marching ants' selection created from the Lumion masks in Photoshop . This Lumion 11 render cut out and set into a site photo today is pretty crisp around the building edges. Certainly a lot better than I have managed previously.

WS Architecture Ltd

Comment

I've had a couple of crashes of Lumion Pro 11.0 when working with Revit 2021 so updated my 3D Connexions driver (updated today), Graphics drivers and also am downloading Lumion Pro again as I see it is at version 11.0.2 although I did not see an update announced.
              WS Architecture Ltd

Comment

Here we go - 11.0.2 Release Notes

https://support.lumion.com/hc/en-us/...s/360017906260

Resolved issues

• Lumion no longer randomly crashes if you:
                  • Reimport your model.
                  • Resize a SketchUp texture while using the Lumion LiveSync for SketchUp plug-in.
                  • Rescale a SketchUp Component while using the Lumion LiveSync for SketchUp plug-in.
                WS Architecture Ltd

Comment

Lumion 11.3 is released. Biggest feature is that Omni lights now have shadows.

There are various bug fixes and improvements.

First tutorial I've come across which explains what you might do with Omni light shadows:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrRkESGc9Fw

I've always shied away from using lights in Lumion as I had never really go the hang of how to make them work well. This new feature looks very useful in that respect.

Just before this release I had been trying to use the photomatch feature in Lumion 11 for exported Revit 2021 models. This allows you to adopt the perspective vanishing points for a render from a loaded site photo, so as to fit the render into the image.
                  While it works well, it does not always look 'right' somehow - so in the end I did it 'by eye'. Somehow that looked better than the technically correct method Top image is, for me, better than the corrected perspective version, below... quite likely distortion in the site photo doesn't help.

Last edited by willsud; March 16, 2021, 10:44 PM. Reason: add images
                  WS Architecture Ltd

Comment

I agree - always takes a good eye to create a great composition.
                    It looks great: saying that, the "hard" change of ground material and also the hardness of the shadows compared to the original gives the game away slightly....but without looking that close it looks extremly realistic (i'm being very picky!).
                    Can the shadow be toned down? Just wondering.
                    Last edited by Alex Page; March 17, 2021, 08:48 PM.
                    Alex Page
                    RevitWorks Ltd
                    Check out our Door Factory, the door maker add-in for Revit

Comment