Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project materials, Swatch "Controls", Autodesk Shared Libraries, Location & Ordering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project materials, Swatch "Controls", Autodesk Shared Libraries, Location & Ordering

So after I'd shared those pretty drawings of the Apple HQ around our office I've had a fit of requests to start looking into our rendering outputs... even though it's not strictly on our list of goals - but I'm not going to beat down enthusiasm... and since rendering settings can go in view templates, I've been having a bit of a play...

This isn't the first time I've looked into Revit rendering, but it is the first time I've looked at it with an eye to organise it.

This is mostly an account of what I've done so far - with a few questions - but ideally I'd like those good enough to read it all to make comments or suggestions where necessary...

1. First, I've culled down our template materials (we use a fairly limited pallette of building materials) - renaming them in heirarchal-order, ie.
    MA_METAL_
    MA_METAL_COPPER
    MA_METAL_STEEL
    MA_METAL_STEEL_STAINLESS
    MA_METAL_STEEL_STAINLESS_CHEQUERPLATE
    MA_PAINT_
    MA_PAINT_WHITE_255-255-255_MATTE
    MA_PAINT_WHITE_255-255-255_GLOSSY

...I've used an open-ended material definition at the start of each "TYPE" - thinking it best to leave a "template" defintion for people to build off of, rather than always start with the "MA_DEFAULT" definition.

But this raised my first query - some texture swatches give you more control than others - and ideally the "template" definitions are prepped with the most options. But I can't seem to find any logic to which swatches get what - is it catalogued anywhere?

2. I have then assigned all of the definitions a material class, so that if anything "new" comes in they can be "caught" and sorted quickly....

3. I've decided I'm not pre-assigning any other identity data as I want that to be fluid and non-prescriptive, (we may use a limited palette but we don't use the same suppliers)

4. I have opted for "Use Render Appearance for Shading" for the first time ever

To date I've always avoided this, using exagerated bold colours to clearly differentiate materiality in shaded working views. (Perhaps selfishly) I've pushed this through in my teaching, but have recently noticed a lot of people in our office spending more and more time in views more in keeping with the final output... so as much as it pains me to do it, we'll no longer have bipolar material colours.

5. Since it's farily easy to develop a core of basic materials, but all too easy to create too many, (although I'm not going to go to the lengths of specifying a Revit-project material variant of every swatch in the material library!) I was wondering how one might document them all together?

I've already asked our graphics person if she would print off the thumbnails from the shared library so I can have a printed overview of all the maps and bumps on offer... but what of the materials I have defined? A massive render of a field of cubes?

6. And does anyone know how the reasoning behind the structure of the "assetlibrary_base.fbm" folder? It's a joke!