Do U Revit: Securing links through worksets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do U Revit: Securing links through worksets

In my projects, I typically create a workset for my consultant linked models and check that workset out permanently to prevent accidental deletion/movement of links (ex: to user "RevitCOP"). The username just needs to be a unique one to prevent anyone from accidentally making an undesired edit.
    I have never been a fan of Copy/Monitor functionality but recently I started using it and am running into a problem. When I try to stop monitoring elements or go through coordination monitor to make changes, I'm told that “RevitCOP” has the workset for the links checked out and has to relinquish it before I can make changes. Why is this necessary? All I want to do is move my grids & rename them to match the link (through coordination review). Because of this, I have to open my file under the RevitCOP in order to do copy/monitor & review operations, which seems totally unnecessary. Or I have to quit "securing" my linked files altogether, which I’m really not ready to concede.
    During a copy/monitor and when going through warnings, all you're doing is to change the elements in the host file (unless you reject changes, in which case nothing is physically changed), but nothing is being done to the linked project. So why is Revit being so inflexible about a permission that is (intuitively) not required?
    I sincerely think that the current logic of having to own the element/workset in order to perform copy/monitor and coordination review is something that really needs to be looked at closely by the Factory. Probably Revit is writing some kind of tracking information to it, but since the only mechanism of securing links is through forcibly checking out worksets, this is causing undesirable consequences and related frustrations (and we don’t want that, right?)
    While we’re on the subject of Coordination Review, it would be really nice if we didn’t have to use the steering wheel in order to pan, and simply use the middle scroll button as we do in regular view navigation!

Click here to view the entire blog post.