Jason Grant: Using Design Options to Lock #Revit Grids and Levels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jason Grant: Using Design Options to Lock #Revit Grids and Levels

Some may hope for the best, some may pin, some use locked dimensions, some may use worksets but I use design options.

I know that design options have a bad reputation but I think the true underlying potential within Revit is when we look beyond what a tool is meant to do and see another possible use. For me, one of many found hacks is that design options can provide a foolproof and easy way to lock both grids and levels but also allow easy editing when needed. First, let's look at some of the other options to try to stop the dreaded inadvertent moving of elements:

Hope for the Best
    This is great for one or two member teams. You are intimately involved in each aspect of the model and know when and why to move a grid or level and it usually doesn't happen by accident. Turn that team into 4, 6, 8, 12+ members and the chance of accidental moving increases exponentially with each additional team member.

Pin the Elements
    All you need is a careless user who clicks ok to every dialogue box for this method to break down.

Locked Dimensions
    This is fine except if something gets shifted, they all get shifted. So at least you will have consistency in your grids being shifted to an incorrect location. But wait, if you pin them then you have doubled your chances for consistency but under the stress of a deadline funny things happen and things haphazardly get dragged.

Locked Worksets
    This is the workflow that we did for a while and it is one of the safest options. You change your username to something like "admin" or whatever the team decides. Then you take control of the grid and level elements and close the file without relinquishing. While this is pretty foolproof, you can still inadvertently drag a grid and an unexperienced user can get into the request permission to edit spiral. Otherwise it works pretty well but if you need to edit the grids or levels then you need to close Revit, reopen, change username, open file, edit grid, sync, close without relinquishing, close Revit, reopen, change username, open file and continue working on project. A lot of steps to edit the grid or levels in my opinion.

Design Options
    This is a simple way to lock the grids and levels in my opinion and we have never had any negative feedback from consultants collaborating with us. It is as easy as creating a design option "Grids and Levels" but there are no other options other than the Primary. Put your grids and levels into this option and you can never inadvertently select or drag the grids or levels, EVER. To adjust you just need to activate the design option. You can still dimension the elements as needed. The only slightly odd thing about this option is that when adjusting the cropped grids in an interior elevation, for example, you just need to activate the design option first. We think this is pretty great since it is foolproof to not select when you don't want to and a simple step to activate the ability to edit when you need to. Since it is the primary option it is always shown and cannot be overridden in a view since it is the only option in that group.

If you have some questions on the how or comments about why this is not great let me know and I can answer them or create a video illustrating how it works.

Click here to view the entire blog post.