Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DFW People, PLEASE Help Me Save My Dog!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DFW People, PLEASE Help Me Save My Dog!!!

I know this is a long shot, but here it goes:

I'm trying everything I can to save my dog. Unfortunately, he did bite my son (13) 2 days ago, and we can't keep him anymore. My son is fine, but we did have to go to the ER. He would be at home with him all day, alone, while we are at work. Plus, we have nieces and nephews who are much younger, and always over. We can't risk something happening again.

The bite was a bad chain of events. He was laying down with him, face to face. He put an arm around the dogs belly, and scooped his other arm under the dogs head to give him a hug. Well, the dog didn't like that, and since they were face to face, he bit him. We can't keep him, but he's too awesome of a dog to be put down.

Right now, he's in quarantine at the Dallas animal shelter. Probably scared and confused. It breaks our heart to have him there. The worse part is, after the quarantine, he'll be put down unless we find someone to adopt him, or at least foster him for a while until we can find him a home.

He'd be great for someone without kids. He's a 2 year old Blue Heeler. He's neutered, has all his vaccinations, and is micro chipped.He's a very chill dog, doesn't jump or bark, is totally house broken. Is incredibly smart. We've already been through 6 weeks of basic skills training. He knows sit, lay down, stay, leave it, and sort of knows drop it. He walks on a loose leash like a champ! As far as other dogs/pets go, he's "dog challenged". Not aggressive, unless they are face to face. In training class, he would roll over for a belly rub (he loves those) with other dogs in the room. So, he's not aggressive, he just doesn't know how to act when another dog comes near to him. . We actually had a behaviorist scheduled to help us with this. She was supposed to show up the day after the bite happened. Needless to say, we had to cancel. He is a really awesome dog, though.

Like I said, I know this is a long shot. But, I'm trying everything I can think of to save my dog. He only has a week left (Thursday, Aug.2). So, if you know anyone, please let me know!
    Attached Files
    dzatto
    "OMG I killed Revit"
    Last edited by dzatto; July 26, 2012, 04:37 PM. Reason: Changed Title
    Dan

That absolutely breaks my heart. I'd take your dog in an instant if I could (and if I was closer). Could you not send him to a Blue Heeler rescue?

Texas Cattle Dog Rescue | Heeler Rescue and Adoption

Not sure on the specifics of this place, but perhaps they could help out if you can't find someone to take your dog?
    Chad Koscinski | Architect

Comment

I've called a ton of rescue organizations, I think I actually called (or emailed) them as well. They are either full, or hear the word "bite" and hang up. I understand why, but he really is a good dog and would be awesome with the right people.
      Dan

Comment

Sorry dude, can't help ya... Good luck though. Really hope you find a home for him.
        Martijn de Riet
        Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
        MdR Advies
        Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

(I cant believe i asking this question...)

How many days does he have?

I dont know what will happen with a cat. And if he hurt my cat id probably go ballistic on his ass. But i cant see him get put down. I could hold him until he has a home, even if i cant keep him... But i might have to cage him during the day so my cat survives the first few weeks.

I just dont know if thats a good situation, lol.
          Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
          @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

you're a good egg, Aaron Maller! :thumbsup:
            Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
            AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
            ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment

Yeah, this is not good for your reputation...
              But I wouldn't worry too much about your cat. This type of dog, 2 yrs old? He'd get his his a$$ kicked all over the place.
              We've always had cats and trust me: you'd be doing this dog a favor if you bought him a safe room...
              Martijn de Riet
              Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
              MdR Advies
              Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by LeanneZ View Post
                you're a good egg, Aaron Maller! :thumbsup:
                He sure is. I'd hate to put your cat in danger. I mean, yes, I want to try everything I can to save him. But, if that means putting another animal in danger, well, I don't know.

Plus, you'll have to put down a lot of treats to get him in his crate. He's on to us, he knows we leave when we crate him (and we always crated him when nobody was home, but it was never over about 4 or 5 hours since it's summer and the kids not in school). He's too smart for his own good.

But, to answer your question, he has 6 days left.
                Dan

Comment

(Im going to regret this....)

Lets take care of it tomorrow and get him out of there. Even if i dont keep him long term, ill find him a home. Ive got a dog house and a fenced back yard already. Ill buy a crate tomorrow.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by Twiceroadsfool View Post
                    (Im going to regret this....)

Lets take care of it tomorrow and get him out of there. Even if i dont keep him long term, ill find him a home. Ive got a dog house and a fenced back yard already. Ill buy a crate tomorrow.
                    Wow...speechless. You don't know how much I appreciate this. But, we can't get him out until his 10 days is up. It's a city mandated quarantine. Well, actually, we can. But, he needs to be confined to a room, without human or animal contact. Except for feeding and *******. But, let's just leave him in the quarantine for now. I'll get him on Thursday. Hopefully, we can find a home before then. I have a lot of people looking.

Dude, I owe you big time. I hope your cat doesn't regret this, though. I'll have to warn ya, he'll want to be your shadow. Anywhere you go, he'll want to go. We didn't mind it, but you and your cat might. We'd put him in the yard briefly, and he wouldn't bark. But he'd stare at you through the window. :laugh:

Oh, no crate needed. No food or treats needed (for now). We have all that stuff. Actually, have 2 crates. First one was too small. oops.
                    dzatto
                    "OMG I killed Revit"
                    Last edited by dzatto; July 27, 2012, 05:11 PM.
                    Dan

Comment