iBooks Author app icon reminds me of...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iBooks Author app icon reminds me of...

Okay, this is pretty "out there", but...

I was checking out Apples new "iBooks Author" app, which is intended to allow anyone to easily create their own eBooks, launched in conjunction with their new e-textbook initiative. Something about the app's icon kept reminding me of something... and though it's probably not the most original image in the world, I knew I had seen it somewhere... a lot... a long time ago.

Then I figured it out.

Curios if anyone else is reminded of the same thing... and while it's not directly related to Revit, Revit users who have been around a very long time, before there even was Revit, might be reminded of the same thing...

Sorry, no prizes to be offered...
    Attached Files

Originally posted by iru69 View Post
    Okay, this is pretty "out there", but...

I was checking out Apples new "iBooks Author" app, which is intended to allow anyone to easily create their own eBooks, launched in conjunction with their new e-textbook initiative. Something about the app's icon kept reminding me of something... and though it's probably not the most original image in the world, I knew I had seen it somewhere... a lot... a long time ago.

Then I figured it out.

Curios if anyone else is reminded of the same thing... and while it's not directly related to Revit, Revit users who have been around a very long time, before there even was Revit, might be reminded of the same thing...

Sorry, no prizes to be offered...
    Looks a bit like the spiral stair case that was the "box shot" for Revit 5.1 (?). Is that what you are referring too?

Edit: You said BEFORE Revit was even around. There was an AutoCAD "box shot" that used a golden spiral. I can't remember the version. It was kind of red and yellow.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by JeffH; January 20, 2012, 12:16 PM.
    Jeff Hanson
    Sr. Subject Matter Expert
    Autodesk, Revit - User Experience

Comment

Dude, that is going way back! To the last time there was a Mac version of Acad!

Gordon

EDIT: Would you believe those books are on eBay right now, asking $69! And an R12 Customization manual, asking $108.95. :crazy:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Gordon Price; January 20, 2012, 02:38 AM.
      Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Well, that was easy! I had those manuals on the shelf of my workspace for, like, three years back in the day (until we upgraded to R14)... it's obviously been burned into my brain. It really is a striking resemblance. Yeah, I saw the price they were going for as well... insane... they must be holding out for "collectors" or something.

Just curious... did you remember those as well, or if not, how did you make the connection?

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
        Dude, that is going way back! To the last time there was a Mac version of Acad!

Gordon

EDIT: Would you believe those books are on eBay right now, asking $69! And an R12 Customization manual, asking $108.95. :crazy:
        Good try Jeff... you were on the right track!

Comment

Well, I immediately thought is was familiar, and Apple nailed it in that I am sure I had a Biology text with a sectioned Nautilus on the cover at some point. But I thought it was something else too. Your post got me thinking harder, and I knew it was something acad from that era, but I wasn't sure if it was actually acad, or Arch-T, or even Softdesk. EBay to the rescue, as initially I was thinking it was R14.

Good trivia question, and fun to see images of 5.25" floppies in my searching. BTW, have you played with Author yet? Pretty amazing that Adobe still has nothing that goes much beyond glorified scanned PDFs in functionality.

Gordon
          Last edited by Gordon Price; January 20, 2012, 06:11 PM.
          Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Wow, that's pretty good detective work!

re iBook Author, I haven't had time to really dig into it, but I did play around with it for about 15 minutes last night trying to "import" a novel (not my own, so don't ask ), and it's not as easy as I was hoping. It's going to take a bunch of copying and pasting to get the chapters right... wouldn't be a big deal if you only have a dozen chapters, but kind of a drag if you have 70 chapters (they're really short chapters ). However, if you're going all out, it seems like you could put together something special. However, it's a great alternative to the hoops I was jumping through to get books into the iBooks store otherwise.

For my own personal stuff that's not going into the iBook store but like to read in the iBooks app (which I prefer over the Kindle app), I might stick with Pages since it seems like it might be a lot less work - I'll have to play around with Author a bit more to know for sure.

I tried to import into InDesign and then export out to ePub, but it was a mess. However, I've read that CS6 is going to really focus more on e-publishing and iOS in general.

Comment

Yeah, for simple text books I am finding that Pages is still solid and easy. But I started thinking about what a Revit text book could be, when the chapter about families could include videos, and a 3D model that you could spin around, highlight each part, animate the modeling, etc. To do that before Author required creating an iOS app from scratch, which is easier than some alternatives, but hardly easy. Author looks like it makes things possible for content focused people that before was simply impossible for anyone but an experienced Cocoa developer. it won't likely be something for a hobbyist, but Pro-sumer and up should find it pretty functional. Gonna be an interesting future.

Gordon
              Pragmatic Praxis

Comment