Smith Lodge (AKA The Bonanza Ranch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smith Lodge (AKA The Bonanza Ranch)

Well, since I posted so many questions and screen shots on here when I was modeling this thing, I thought I'd update you guys on the progress. Here's a few shots. And yes, he owns all of the land you see. Damn rich people. :laugh:
    Attached Files
    Dan

That thing is TINY!!! but it has some amazing views!!!
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Yeah, it's only about 25,000 s.f. under roof. I don't know how he and his wife will manage without bumping into each other all the time.
      Dan

Comment

It must reall suck to be rich.
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
          It must reall suck to be rich.
          Not only would I not know. I will NEVER know. :sad:
          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
            Well, since I posted so many questions and screen shots on here when I was modeling this thing, I thought I'd update you guys on the progress. Here's a few shots. And yes, he owns all of the land you see. Damn rich people. :laugh:
            Thanks for sharing real pictures of your Revit project! Looks to be an awesome place, but can't believe the amount of timber being used... Did you tell that rich client of yours to plant some new trees to make up for it? I mean, with the amount of Land, and the size of the Ranch, he should be able to afford being just a tiny amount of "green" too

(and if he's not up to planting trees, I have plenty of sources from where he can buy some GreenTech to make up for it, e.g. solar panels, which should be rather suitable for TX )
            Klaus Munkholm
            "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Dude, we live in Texas! We don't care about no stinkin' trees. :laugh:

You're right, though. All heavy timber with stick framing. He wanted that rustic hunter's lodge look.

I want some solar panels on my house, but they are way too expensive still. Remember, I just draw stuff for a living. :laugh:
              Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
                ... Remember, I just draw stuff for a living. :laugh:
                Correction: You MODEL stuff for a living :laugh:

Solar panels are expensive here as well, but they keep becoming more efficient and less expensive (much like computers), and our government is determined to go CO2 neutral by 2020, and thus far we have got a 1/1 conversion rate, meaning that if we can produce more electricity from the panels than we use (over a year), we'll get paid the same amount for the "over produced" electricity, as we should have paid the electricity company for the KWh we'd normally use... Still not a perfect solution, but it's close to being a reasonable investment.

Back on topic: As a former carpenter, I can't help loving a skeleton like that! Did you model the actual framing too? Or "just" the exterior shell?
                Last edited by Munkholm; January 20, 2012, 08:53 PM.
                Klaus Munkholm
                "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

I modeled every piece of lumber as well as every nail. :laugh: NOT!

I did the shell, interior, plumbing fixtures, foundation plans and all the heavy timber. Site layout. A few sections of key areas. Some details. Yeah, that's about it.

They used to let you sell your extra electricity back to the power company here, but they quit that recently. I guess the electric company was tired of writing checks instead of collecting them. Now, it's just wasted electricity.

I don't see the US going carbon neutral...ever.
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
                    Solar panels are expensive here as well, but they keep becoming more efficient and less expensive (much like computers)
                    So we will need to upgrade our solar array every 18 months??? Is there anything we can do to overclock our solar arrays?

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
                    and our government is determined to go CO2 neutral by 2020, and thus far we have got a 1/1 conversion rate, meaning that if we can produce more electricity from the panels than we use (over a year), we'll get paid the same amount for the "over produced" electricity, as we should have paid the electricity company for the KWh we'd normally use...
                    Two things...
                    One: CO2 isnt a bad thing... we do need CO2. Ya know Oxygen causes a lot of damage to almost everything.... maybe we should limit its production as well. :P just saying.
                    Two: The area we live in does the same thing. I know several people that the electric company pays them. Farmers really like doing this with wind power. Drop a wind turbine in the middle of the field, lose 6ish trees and produce 50 megawatts, or drop one were your cows graze. Its perfect.
                    Last edited by Alex Cunningham; January 23, 2012, 03:12 PM.
                    -Alex Cunningham

Comment