Any Guitar Players Out There???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Guitar Players Out There???

I can beat the hell out of a drum kit, but know nothing about guitars.

My youngest son (12) wants to start playing. Right now, he has a mini Flying V electric thats a remake they did for Toys R Us years ago. It looks awesome, but it's not really playable. It's about half size. Plus, he's had it for half his life. More of a cool art piece in his room :laugh:

Anyway, he's been plucking away on that, but wants an acoustic. Can anyone recommend a decent one to start him out on? Or, does it even matter at this point?
    Dan

I personally had a Yamaha CG-100A that I got when I was 11 or 12. I'm not sure the equivalent now a days but its a solid guitar that has survived severe abuse (about 16 years of it) . And still sounds great.
    What kind of budget are you working with?

This one is 193 with shipping

You can probably find it cheaper.
    Maybe even try a pawn shop. I've heard of the same guitar going for 30-80 dollars.
    Juan Carlos Moreno
    Store Designer & Merchandising Manager
    Sisley Cosmetics

Comment

Does an air guitar count?
      -Alex Cunningham

Comment

You could buy him a classical guitar (unless he is really used to play)
        Nylon strings are less rough under the fingers and that kind of guitar is very affordable.
        Alexandre Cantin
        "BIM is happening now! Be part of it."

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Cunningham View Post
          Does an air guitar count?
          only for you...only for you
          I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll be checking out Guitar Center to see what they have. Maybe a pawn shop or two.

That Yamaha is a good looking guitar. I'll have to check it out. I just don't know what a great sounding guitar is supposed to sound like. :laugh:

I bought my oldest son a Martin acoustic a few years back. He is really good. But, now that he's a senior in high school and plays soccer and has a girlfriend it doesn't get much use. Too bad he lives out of state.
            Last edited by dzatto; November 3, 2011, 07:38 PM.
            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
              Thanks for the info, guys. I'll be checking out Guitar Center to see what they have. Maybe a pawn shop or two.

That Yamaha is a good looking guitar. I'll have to check it out. I just don't know what a great sounding guitar is supposed to sound like. :laugh:

I bought my oldest son a Martin acoustic a few years back. He is really good. But, now that he's a senior in high school and plays soccer and has a girlfriend it doesn't get much use. Too bad he lives out of state.
              my son builds guitars for Kauer. I'm sure he'd be happy to build one for your son. Price tag $4 to 5k Here's some of his handywork
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Dave Jones; November 3, 2011, 08:18 PM. Reason: spelling fix
              I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Ewan Dobson - Time 2 - Guitar - YouTube

Trevor Gordon Hall - That Old Familiar Pain - YouTube

Antoine Dufour - Trilogie Acoustic Guitar - www.candyrat.com - YouTube

and.... My fav. song - La Isla Bonita by Alizee - YouTube there is a guitar in there somewhere....
                -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Jones View Post
                  my son builds guitars for Kauer. I'm sure he'd be happy to build one for your son. Price tag $4 to 5k Here's some of his handywork
                  I'll take the $4 one. :laugh:

That's some nice work. :thumbsup:
                  Dan

Comment

August Rush - Dueling Guitars (HQ) - YouTube
                    -Alex Cunningham

Comment