Didn't see that one coming...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Didn't see that one coming...

A thread devoted to all the fun and perfectly reasonable </sarcasm> requests that your clients make of you. Revit related or not. I'll start.

So after producing some shaded 3D details for a couple of projects, my SPM comes up to me and says:

"So we've had this same 3D, annotated detail on a couple of projects now. Can you make it part of our library so we don't have to cut the detail on every project?"

hooray!... :banghead:
    .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

DOH!!! Everytime we talk about things like this we always put the disclaimer... does not work with live views.
    -Alex Cunningham

Comment

/I'll NEVER forget this.....at a company I used to work for, our Ofiice/Cad/IT manager (yeah he wore a lot of hats) was demonstrating how to operate the newly aquired Cadillac copier/fax.
      A huge machine, lots-O-buttons and lights. About 14 of us are standing in a group bored with his attempt to impress us with his newfound knowledge and mastery of the machine.

He says "and to send a Fax, you push this button here...it's labled 'face-smile'..." He honestly thought that was the correct pronunciation of the word "Facsimile".
      No one said a word, it was classic.

This same guy genuinely believed if your PC crashed, turning it off and letting it "rest" for 5 minutes would correct most problems.
      Defiant1
      Last edited by Defiant1; September 8, 2011, 04:07 AM.
      "Two possibilities exist. Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not.
      Both are equally terrifying."
      - Arthur C Clarke

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant1 View Post
        This same guy genuinely believed if your PC crashed, turning it off and letting it "rest" for 5 minutes would correct most problems.
        Sometimes it does. Usually it just delays the inevitable, though.

Also, resetting the CMOS. Sometimes it fixes stuff, sometimes that RAM slot just won't fix itself...

And onto something more in line with this thread:

I once had a client try to tell me to setup Revit licenses with LMTools on a MAC mini-server.

I had another client that was convinced AutoCAD Architecture 2011 was the cause of their printing problems their 1987 HP plotter was having. Which on another note, roughly 90% of all printing issues I troubleshoot are HP printers and devolves into 3-4 hours of tinkering with HP plotter drivers.
        hypnox1
        Last edited by hypnox1; September 8, 2011, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Yeah, actually a lot of computer issues are solved by a simple reboot.....

One of my fav's that just happened recently is the usual "Revit's rendering sucks....3D Studio is way better!"....so I did a rendering of a project in asbuilt stage...I put my rendered picture next to the actual picture... They really believed the rendered one was real and the actual picture was rendered and photoshopped!...
          Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Client - "I want my elevations to look like Autocad, you know, with different line weights to show depth"
            Me - Ok lets put some shadows on then.
            Client - "NO, i want it to look like an Autocad drawing"
            Me - This is Revit, it will never look like Autocad.
            Client - "this program is crap"
            Me - Sigh and head drop...
            Andrew Harp
            BIM Manager GHD
            If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you.
            If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you.

Comment

Originally posted by hypnox1 View Post
              I once had a client try to tell me to setup Revit licenses with LMTools on a MAC mini-server.
              I just discovered the other day that there is indeed a version of FlexLM that runs native on OS X. The Maya folks use it. I don't know what version number it is, or if it will support Revit licenses, but I suspect it would. And I bet it would be more stable. And the UI might even fail to suck.

Gordon
              Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Originally posted by MPwuzhere View Post
                Yeah, actually a lot of computer issues are solved by a simple reboot.....
                Yeah, I routinely reboot at lunch, just so the PC can "clear it's head"

I probably wasn't clear enough in my first post....to clarify: His solution to EVERY problem was to "let it rest for 5 minutes".
                If that didn't work, time to call in the OUTSIDE IT people.

In six years, I don't think the man ever fixed anything beyond his morning coffee.
                Boy he had 'em (owners) fooled.
                "Two possibilities exist. Either we are alone in the universe, or we are not.
                Both are equally terrifying."
                - Arthur C Clarke

Comment

The 5 minute thing was from earlier BIOS issues from way back...I think it went away with Windows 98...
                  Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
                    I just discovered the other day that there is indeed a version of FlexLM that runs native on OS X. The Maya folks use it. I don't know what version number it is, or if it will support Revit licenses, but I suspect it would. And I bet it would be more stable. And the UI might even fail to suck.

Gordon
                    Correct that there is a native OSX version for Maya, ACAD for MAC and the like. However, it uses a different license file format, from my understanding bickering with Autodesk licensing, than Revit and AutoCAD for Windows supports.

Comment