Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geting Started

Is it possible to start from scratch?
    Life is good and we make of it what we will. But starting again from scratch when you are middle aged ain't simple. I have a good background in architectural design, a small income and a burning ambition to learn Revit and re-build the rest of my career. I want to learn Revit as a skill for employment but can't afford software or lessons.
    Can anyone suggest how to make a start?

Download Revit 2016 | Free Trial | Autodesk

And you can always try this, but it doesn't always work:
    Revit Free Download | Free Student Version for Academics

Good Luck!
    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment

Once you have the software go and model a building. Pick something you done in the past and redo that in Revit. In my experience doing stuff out of a book just doesn't cut it. So start a building, once you run into trouble, read about it in a book or website. Continue the building until the next issue and do the same. Real world buildings will give you real world trouble and you have to go look for real world solutions.

Oh and the solution you come up with for the trouble you get yourself into, might not be the best one, but in time you will find better ones. For me that was part of the learning experience.

And you definitely need to go trough the 6 phases of Revit Users:

Phase One - Initial Excitement!!!

"Holy ****! Look what I can do with this thing!"

Phase Two - First bump

"Hmmmm...? Why won't it do what I want? That's not how I do it in (insert other cad software here)!"

Phase Three - Creamy Middle

mmm... things are going more smoothly, now......mmmmm"

Phase Four - WTF stage

The family editor "eats you up and spits you out"!

Phase Five - The Enlightenment

Things really begin to click! You understand why things are happening in your model, and better yet how to control them and avoid problems. You have conquered the family editor.

Phase Six - Zen of Revit

You have mastered nearly all things revit. You "know" what Revit "likes", and what it "dislikes" during model construction, a sixth sense, really. You spend your time exploring and tweaking advanced scheduling, OBDC, external parameters, AR3. You have a template to beat all templates, families for every situation.

[6 phases of Revit Users by Chris Zoog]
      Last edited by Robin Deurloo; October 3, 2015, 07:19 PM.
      Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
      Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
        the 6 phases of Revit Users:
        unfortunately, you can't get there in a reasonable amount of time if you can't afford the software or training for the software. You have to spend money to make money. I estimate that my conversion from AutoCAD to Revit cost me in the neighborhood of $40 to $50k USD over the last 5 years (software, computer upgrades, training). I spent the money to get here and now I am making a lot more money than I did using Acad because there aren't a lot of people or companies that do what I do that will spend the dime or take the time to get where I am (and am going). Get a loan, buy the software, get good training. The payback is just around the corner!
        I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

Yes to do it right it will cost money sure you can learn the basics with some self training and youtube video's, but you will lack some stuff for sure.

Think I'm at ~12k right now for training, software and computer for the past 4 years or so (and I have a boss that is paying that) and there are lots of unbillable hours too I guess, trying stuff, learning more and making families and templates and there is the time I spend at home trying stuff I can not do at the job as it has nothing to do with the job, but that is stuff you might not want to learn anyway.
          Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment

Agree with all that. Lynda.com is good with Eric wings tutes. And books, like mastering Revit architecture. And YouTube channels, get smart, don't just search YouTube, get an account and subscribe to the copious channels out there. Autodesk have a plethora of tutorials. And play, play, play.
            Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Comment

Originally posted by Robin Deurloo View Post
              Yes to do it right it will cost money sure you can learn the basics with some self training and youtube video's, but you will lack some stuff for sure.

Think I'm at ~12k right now for training, software and computer for the past 4 years or so (and I have a boss that is paying that) and there are lots of unbillable hours too I guess, trying stuff, learning more and making families and templates and there is the time I spend at home trying stuff I can not do at the job as it has nothing to do with the job, but that is stuff you might not want to learn anyway.
              not disagreeing with you but my response was based on the OPs statement "...rebuild the rest of my career...". You don't rebuild a career by dinking around Lynda.com or watching uTube videos. You determine what your "career" is to be from this point forward and take/get specific instruction on how to do the Revit things that need to be done to get you there. And, you don't do that with the Free 30 Day Trial of Revit or even an educational version, you do that by making a commitment to where you need to go and pay the money for a license, just like the rest of us have done.
              I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

New licencing method of Autodesk is that you rent the software. Maybe you can start by renting the LT version the first few months, it's a lot cheaper, and you can still learn 90% of Revit.

For learning Revit i used Lynda.com , Therevitkid.com and the Essentials guide from Sybex. After that i started the mastering series from Sybex and youtube a lot to develop extra skills.
                Last edited by Marcel Jansen; October 5, 2015, 02:17 PM.
                www.jansenengineering.nl

Comment

Thank you all very much for your responses, I found them informative and Dave Jones comments quite inspiring. Yes I will find a way to learn Revit, still don't have any money to spend but will find a way to make it happen and then convince an employer about the value of investment.

Comment

Good luck.

Feel free to ask stuff on the forum, but, as I see many new Revit people don't do, ask smart question. A question like "I don't know how to do walls, can you help me?" will probably not get the response you need. Explain a bit why you want to do what you are trying to do, tell us a bit about what it is you already tried and explain with images or even a attached file what the end goal is.

But most of all try yourself first and if you fail, try again, not getting to where you wanna go learns you much more then asking anyone else how it is done. Over time you will slowly understand why stuff goes wrong and then you are on your way to know Revit. Also be prepared to get annoyed with Revit once in a while (see the 6 phases above) I still do after a few years.

Comment