Users from Texas - Everybody okay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Users from Texas - Everybody okay?

That flooding looks rather dreadful. All of you okay?
    Developer at Anguleris BIMsmith Marketplace.
    Previously at Sumex Design for ARCAT.com

North central Austin here. Most of the major flood waters have resided. Now it's nothing but blue skies and temperatures in the mid 80's... just in time for the work week to start. :banghead:
    Tony Perez @Twitter
    Senior Structural Designer
    Tesla Gigafactory - Austin

Comment

It's been absolutely crazy. There are some people that have been missing in a neighborhood 5 miles from me but last we heard they all were accounted for. Many people have been rescued by boat and choppers from getting stuck in low areas that suddenly flood with force.

All the yards in my neighborhood have super green grass though!
      Tannar Z. Frampton ™
      Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

Thanks for checking on us. We got caught in it, yesterday. We were in Houston for the Memorial day weekend, and we waited to leave Houston until the afternoon, since there was red/purple sweeping over Dallas/Fort Worth at around 130 pm. We didnt know that wasnt the only band coming through that day. So i hit the road northbound on I45 at about 230pm.

I was near Madisonville when the worst of it came through. For about 30 minutes people on I45 were seeking shelter under the over passes. We stopped at one overpass, and there were literally 20 cars there. They didnt all fit on the shoulder, so people were parking in the lanes. But i wasnt comfortable sitting in the lanes, in case someone came barelling through, so we motored through the rain watching the skies.

A few scary moments. No twister sightings (for us). We DID contemplate getting off I45 to get on the frontage road, which we decided against. Good thing, too. 5 miles up the road, the frontage road disappeared under water. Under about ten feet of water. After we were home safe, we took a peek at the news: One section of I45 in Houston (that we had driven on 8 hours earlier) is under 4 feet of water.

All in all... Lets not do that again.
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Yeah, thanks for checking in. We're all good. We needed the rain though. All of our lakes were in drought conditions for a few years. Now they are above flood stage. :laugh: But yeah, I'm over all the rain. I'm almost ready for the 110* temps. Almost.

I even planted some cactii and agave in the front yard because, you know, they are drought tolerant. It started raining the weekend after I planted them and it hasn't stopped yet. I hope they don't die from too much water.
          Dan

Comment

Send the rain to Calif. We are in the 5th year of drought here. California?s Worst Drought in History: The Breakdown
            -Alex Cunningham

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
              It started raining the weekend after I planted them and it hasn't stopped yet
              CA Governor Jerry Brown has a very important job for you. Bring shovel, we'll provide the plantings
              I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

But I don't even like Californians. Why would I bring a shovel?
                Dan

Comment

My girlfriend from California visited this weekend, we almost got trapped in the Whole Foods garage. A good friend who was visiting his parents in Houston got hit by high water and he had to pull both of his parents out of the car before it got swept away - scary!
                  Rick Moore, AIA
                  Barnes Gromatzky Kosarek Architects

Comment

Woah. Holy cow. Super glad they got out of the car in time. A lot of folks didnt.
                    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment