Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I stay or should I go?

Hi all,

I have two dilemmas. More workplace related than Revit but as you are in the industry perhaps you could offer 2cents here.

General info to consider: I work in Belgium and don't speak Vlaams fluently. My first language is English hence often when I speak I sound like the idiot foreigner even though I have more PRACTICAL experience with Revit.

Dilemma: I left a company 7 months ago.
    Job title Junior Draughtsman.
    Their senior draughtsman had just taken a Revit course and I was asked to help him and give advice. My advice was sought out by the COO but was completely ignored even though I had 5 years work experience in Revit. He told me he didn't believe a word I was saying about the capabilities of Revit. I advised against using an add-on program but they doggedly stuck by their decision to use it. The pay wasn't fantastic but the rest of the people were.
    I was offered a position at another company which I took.
    Job title BIM coordinator.
    Better pay. My only and biggest aggravation is that I think they should have hired an "Add-on Expert" and not a BIM coordinator. They insist on using this add-on and "making it work". Don't have any feelings for the people this way or that.

Sweet vindication: :bb: The company I left called me. They want me back. They phoned and as politely as a Belgian could, asked if I wouldn't want to return to their employ.
    The COO left (just after I did) and they've ditched the add-on.

Questions:
    1. Has anyone done a return to their previous employer and how did that pan out?
    2. Should I even be entertaining the thought of returning?

Ciao for now.

The company I left
    Last edited by Gabriel Black; February 13, 2015, 06:42 AM.
    Say something interesting....

I'd return, why not? It's just a business, especially in EU where people leave and come all the time without troubling explaining themselves. You could get a pay increasement btw.
    Last edited by cerb0z; February 13, 2015, 10:21 AM.

Comment

frequently new management = new company. If there is are benefits to going back I don't see why not but the job culture in the EU is different than it is in the US so...
      Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
      BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

We work in a very small industry. Although you may not have to give reason and the law is on your side in this area you may be burning a bridge personally. Back to that small industry thing. Its small relatively speaking. The real clincher is how well networked people are in the industry. Sure at first glance you may be ticking someone off at your current employer. No biggie right, it's just one company, one person. How many people does that one company, one person know. In 5 years maybe you will be trying to change jobs again. Say this firm you are interviewing at has hired someone you use to work with. That person will still know you and know you left the company after only 7 months. They also might feel obligated to inform their boss as to this experience they had while working with you.

Granted this is all hypothetical and what not. The point is the choices and decisions you make right now will have unknown effect in your future. Only you can weigh the choices you have to make. Whats the positive, whats the negative.... If you come up with more positive than negative... Go for it. Just makes sure you have thought everything out.
        -Alex Cunningham

Comment

I left and returned to the company I worked for. I was 5 years in and left. About 2 months later they called begging me back. I didn't really like where I had gone to, so I returned. More pay. That was 15 years ago. So I've been here 20 years.

Now, was it worth it? Hard to say, but I do know that 20 years at a company is way too long (for me, at least). I often think where I'd be had I not come back. Could have been better off, could be homeless. Who knows.

Now, what Alex said does hold some truth. However, I've had people come and go in my department and I've never been upset when they wanted to leave to better themselves. Whether that be more money, different experiences, whatever. I've always wished them the best. I do know some people that take it personally and try to talk someone out of leaving. That's total BS in my book. If someone wants to take it personal and try to screw you in 5 years, well that alone is reason to not work for them IMO.

In 20 years I've learned that, while more money is nice, if you work with dumb asses and people you don't like it's not worth it. You have to want to go to work in the morning, otherwise you'll be miserable.

Not to mention, if you're young, now is the time to do what makes you happy before you have a house, wife, kids, etc. etc. depending on you.
          Dan

Comment

I'll add this thought since it hasn't been said explicitly yet: Are they asking you to come back to the same position/pay/level of influence? Or better position/pay and they'll listen to your advice 'cause they discovered it was good advice when they looked back?

Beyond that, what Alex & Dan said is worth considering in your analysis as well.

Comment

I'd talk with both companies and ask for a pay increase - go with the one that offers you more money, they probably want you more...
              The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel Black View Post
                The pay wasn't fantastic but the rest of the people were.
                Don't have any feelings for the people this way or that.
                To me, that's the core of your whole decision there.
                Sure, you might be able to fight for more pay but, in the end, where would you rather be?
                Someplace that pays a bit better, but you have no friends, or somewhere that you enjoy going to work every day?
                Assuming that there's not a radical difference in the pay - go with your heart.
                And I wouldn't worry too much about burning bridges. I may be cynical, but loyalty between company and employee (both ways) seems like its a thing of the past.
                Dave Plumb
                BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Firstly, im pretty opinionated, so it might sound hypocritical that the following advice is coming from me, but it is, so here goes:

1. You have to decide to look at the big picture, and see where you can have the best future and do the most good, while enjoying your company. You cant get upset and angry that you feel "unheard" because they arent heeding your advice when you have 5 years of experience. I act the same way, when im not heard by management. And when i say something, and they dont listen, it makes me want to roll out, immediately. But you know what? Thats a character flaw of mine. You dont win every battle, and you have to be looking at the long game. If you give them an idea, and they dont adopt it, sit quietly and wait for another opportunity to show them the idea (when whatever you thought of that they havent rears its ugly head), and then: Show it them them NICELY, and not with the "i f**king told you so!!" grin. Believe it or not, ive dedicated some serious time in therapy to dealing with my shittastic communication skills. Because i very well MIGHT be right all of the time, but heres something im learning: If people hate me enough, as stupid as this sounds, they will intentionally not listen to me even if they know im right, JUST because they cant stand me.

2. Using/not-using an addin, is small potatoes. Even if its a catastrophic addin that destroys revit models, like Freeze Drawings. Dont ever use "Revit addin" and "thinking of quitting a job" in the same sentence. Not because you arent right, and not because the addin isnt ****. But because of item number 1. We ALL lose battles now and again. If we all quit or move companies when we lose battles, we wont have any place left to work.

3. People suck. People everywhere suck. Some people on the forums know that i just had a very difficult year, in terms of some members of senior level management that didnt understand what i do or how i do it, that i had... trouble communicating with. And ill be honest: Its the closest ive come to quitting a job, without quitting a job. BUT... There will ALWAYS be someone you cant stand, or that cant stand you. Even if you go back to the company where you love the people, eventually they will hire someone you dont love. And youll butt heads. The trick is to butt heads when it matters, but not let it affect your overall happiness at that place of employment.

Because... Good people are hard to find. LOL.
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Wow! Thank you for the responses! I thought I was going to hear crickets on this question.

I realized I didn't have enough facts so I called the company with the question: "What would the practicalities be if I came back."
                    The answer was factual and satisfactory: Job title, pay and working conditions.

That a request like that should shake things up so severely for me is a clear indicator that deep down I'm not satisfied or happy where I am. Either I have to confirm that it is good where I'm at or I need to move on.
                    Even if that means *shudder* taking the third option and looking at completely new positions.

To clarify: the add-in is a platform that uses Revit to do amazing things that Revit already does.

Twiceroadsfool: I hear you. I actually enjoy butting heads with some. However when I look incompetent because management has made ill-informed choices and admitted it to me + then stubbornly insist that we make it work. Staff not happy - not only me. There's a bigger problem. I'm supposed to enforce and help them use a product I think is fecal matter.

However, at the end of the day I can still go home quite content...for now.

Thank you for your input - it will all be very carefully considered!

Please don't stop adding advice if you have more to add!
                    Say something interesting....

Comment