Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone use business cards these days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone use business cards these days?

I'm lucky enough to get to attend my first RTC in a couple of weeks. With all the tech savvy Revit users in attendance I'm wondering do most people share info with smartphones these days? Linkedin? Twitter? What's most popular?

Originally posted by Versiamo01 View Post
    Twitter?
    At events with a hashtag certainly, or follow trending groups like #ukbimcrew or other attendees. I don't ever take cards anywhere anymore.

I'll ask for someone's contact info as I would of a new friend, or follow up subsequently via LinkedIn, or if they're very personable a phonecall or meet.

I now like to go to industry events as "me", having done the whole stimulating but ultimately shallow, and unfulling, fronting of a very public-facing branded type architectural practice. I now just go as myself, and leave work, and the "work persona" exactly there, at work.

I find it makes the event feel less forced - but many who will have met me at these kind of shows would contest I'm just a cynical mardy sulk anyway.

Comment

I still see plenty of cards changing hands. With each passing year I collect fewer cards and hand out fewer of my own though. I doubt anyone will think less of you if you don't have a card to offer.

I think they are a nice personal touch that I suspect won't go entirely out of style.

The RTC application has a QR code reader that you can use to scan another attendees QR code, on the badges. This offers up however much information each person has decided to allow the app to share/retrieve.

Say hi in Schaumburg, see you there!

Comment

I always bring some and tend to collect a few. My only real issue with them is getting the information from the card to my PC. I don't want work related stuff in my phone if I can help it so I tend to avoid card scanning apps and by the time I get back to the office I forget to manually add the info in...
        Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
        BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

Somebody just posted this on Reddit today.
          Dave Plumb
          BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

awe.
            some.
            Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
            BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment

I bring business cards. Contrary to popular misconception because of our careers, im not a tech zealot.
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment