Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a Questioned about being inspired and how one goes about designing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a Questioned about being inspired and how one goes about designing.

I hope I am posting this in right place. IF not, let me apologize in advance.

I was wondering how everyone out there starts out with new projects. Does the idea come out on paper first as some lines. Maybe the outline of the building, house, etc. Or Maybe you just start with REVIT and the wall tool and draw around to connect the walls, lines, whatever.

Just a thought, I would toss out there to see what everyone thinks and how they go about coming up with new projects.

I find it ALWAYS starts with dialog with the client. From there it might go to sketching, or moving physical blocks around, or looking through magazines, or laying out a plan, or... It all depends on where the conversation leads.
    Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Originally posted by Gordon Price View Post
      I find it ALWAYS starts with dialog with the client. From there it might go to sketching, or moving physical blocks around, or looking through magazines, or laying out a plan, or... It all depends on where the conversation leads.
      and, for me, I have to wait for all of this to happen plus more, THEN I finally get to start...hurry up!
      I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

I was wondering more about personal projects. Maybe not so much with clients.

I am finding now more than before, that I have to have it on paper before I even start on the computer. I guess I became more of a perfectionist than I was before.
        By that, I mean that before, I would just draw things out, and let them come as they came. Which is a good thing, because there were some very good ideas. But at the same time, I was finding that I was constantly changing things with no real plan to go with.
        Now, I am not wanting to put anything on REVIT until I see what it will look like on paper. I don't know if that is good or bad. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I work from paper in bubble diagrams, and chicken scratches, but I usually work from ideas, and behind my ideas there is always a program, a visual image or something like it (your version of paper?). When I started, I had a real hard time visualizing though. I thought I would never get it. But it comes with time and especially time designing. It's like anything else. Because my buildings usually get built, I suppose it's hard for me to relate to just free associative design on a purely abstract level at this stage. Even when I design for personal or competition, I also design from ideas, (or from paper if uber complex), but always in the back of my mind is that program (what is it for, what is it going to do, what is it...) Always that, always there. It keeps me focused and moving in a direction. But I'm a hardcore musician also, and I sometimes find that design can be like songwriting, not nearly as free though. In music, I'll almost always memorize the song I'm writing before I put it to paper or even instrument. Perhaps that's where the "design in the head" thing comes from. You probably understand that when you are writing music, you are "connected" to that thing. Not so much when designing buildings, sometimes though. Probably because it takes so much more rational thought in architecture. Sometimes (very recently) I was completely pressured and at a dead end, and that happened though, and out popped a design the client loved without me even being "aware" I had pulled it off. It just happened. So I'm sure I'm not answering your question well, but to try and answer it completely, I also use Revit (or whatever) like some folks would use paper. I'll do save-as and revise, save-as, revise just to create snapshots of what I'm doing as it morphs. So I guess that's why I do that, because unlike paper, when you revise in revit it's so destructive (unless you wad up your paper), so that is why I take snapshots.

hth
          Last edited by BillyGrey; April 22, 2014, 07:03 PM.

Comment

I draw EVERYTHING. And yes, that includes formula syntax, family rigs, file Heirarchy, workflows... Sometimes the "theory" of these need to go into a machine to get tested, but i love how i can sketch what i want first, then work out how to do it - not dismiss an idea out of hand based on a tool.

My biggest problem, as it was at school, is ever making more of my "workings". I seldom scan or commit to a better medium - and recycle without regret what would fill a sketchbook monthly. Which is why I'm still toying with a phablet.

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
              I draw EVERYTHING. And yes, that includes formula syntax, family rigs, file Heirarchy, workflows... Sometimes the "theory" of these need to go into a machine to get tested, but i love how i can sketch what i want first, then work out how to do it - not dismiss an idea out of hand based on a tool.

My biggest problem, as it was at school, is ever making more of my "workings". I seldom scan or commit to a better medium - and recycle without regret what would fill a sketchbook monthly. Which is why I'm still toying with a phablet.
              This. I have the exact same story. LOL
              Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
              @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Originally posted by snowyweston View Post
                I haven't used one first-hand but I've seen the Samsung Note being used to sketch and it was awesome. It will most likely be my next tech purchase, although I should probably sell the Asus I bought first...

I however have always been terrible at keeping sketchbooks, even in school and I doubt a digital version will help that much
                Revit for newbies - A starting point for RFO

chad
                BEER: Better, Efficient, Elegant, Repeatable.

Comment