What do you like about BIM in general?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you like about BIM in general?

Just curious,..can any of you actually put a finger on what you like the best about BIM? Well,...for me,...I enjoy the process of virtually constructing a building that was just a concept a short time before. My Pop was a photographer, and he said he was a lucky guy because he was able to work at his hobby. I feel the same way with parametric modeling.
    Bettisworth North

Originally posted by Charles Karl View Post
    Just curious,..can any of you actually put a finger on what you like the best about BIM? Well,...for me,...I enjoy the process of virtually constructing a building that was just a concept a short time before. My Pop was a photographer, and he said he was a lucky guy because he was able to work at his hobby. I feel the same way with parametric modeling.
    I don't know if this is about BIM specifically, more like why I do what I do. I love what I do! People say to me all the time "man, I'm really sorry that you have to work 70 hours a week"...heh heh, I go to sleep thinking about modeling and I wake up in the morning thinking about modeling. How can I do this? How can I make this process happen more smoothly, I can't wait to get in the office early and the dog has to bark at me (in about 1/2 hour) to get me out of here. This is what God meant for me to do. I didn't go to college, barely graduated from HS having left home shortly before being 16 yo, but the classes I excelled in during HS were drafting and all math. I started my drafting career in a dark and dirty foundry doing casting die drawings on the board. Then graduated into the curtain wall business as an aluminum extrusion die draftsman also on the board. Got to do some side work for presentations with pen and ink on mylar. Loved both of those jobs. Then had a family and had to make a bit more $ so got into curtain wall project management and estimating. That was OK, and supported us until the kids got off on their own. Then discovered AutoCAD in '89. Ho Boy, here we go. Work all day for someone else then sit in front of the computer until midnight every night trying to figure out how to use the software. Then I discovered Revit about 6 years ago...oh crap, here we go again, missed a Thanksgiving with family to travel to get Revit training, spent Christmas "holiday" trying to figure out the family editor. What do I like about BIM? EVERYTHING!

thanks for asking, but I gotta go, the dog is barking at me. Be back at 5am :wine:
    I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

When I was doing more AutoCAD support, I found I spent most of my time talking to teams about how to use AutoCAD or how the drawings should look.
      Since I've been in the Revit world, I spend much more of my time talking about how the building works.
      Dave Plumb
      BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveP View Post
        When I was doing more AutoCAD support, I found I spent most of my time talking to teams about how to use AutoCAD or how the drawings should look.
        Since I've been in the Revit world, I spend much more of my time talking about how the building works.
        This is similar to how I described my interest in working for an architectural firm that uses Revit to one of the firms I'm working for that does not: with Revit I can focus on the "how" of the design instead of making sure the lines representing the design are in the right place and trimmed up neatly. Case in point ... we have a stair that has three segments with one 90° turn and a 60° turn ... the plan I was given has the risers tight to the corners - yeah right! Even in ACA, I can put in a stair and solve some of the clearance/offset issues, not to mention quickly elevating the skewed portions when necessary, but in ACAD I spend as much time figuring out how to make things "look" right as I do actually making it work. I may play with it in Revit to see if I can figure it out better.

Like Dave Jones, there are days (even in ACA/ACAD) that I think, "Yeah, I was meant to do what I'm doing!"

Comment

Originally posted by CADiva View Post
          "Yeah, I was meant to do what I'm doing!"
          that's really cool. I meet a lot of people that just hate their jobs and can't understand where I'm coming from. I think that most people here have been destined to be Revit geeks, and that's not a bad thing! Revit Geeks Unite! I don't know what we're going to do then, probably have a beer and discuss the ramifications :beer:
          I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

My interest in BIM came after I subtle upon Revit. It never made sense to me that you design in one product and draft in another product and simultaneously try to keep both processes up to date. Revit seemed to be the answer to that. Another reason I like BIM is the fact that, in theory, architect can reclaim their role has a master builders. A position that he has lost over the last few decades. Unfortunately, GCs have taken up on that role and it’s yet to be seen if architects can get a piece of that pie.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew P View Post
              My interest in BIM came after I subtle upon Revit. It never made sense to me that you design in one product and draft in another product and simultaneously try to keep both processes up to date. .
              Who does that? I did my first model back in 1996. Drawings generated from the model in the same package. Granted there was no live link between the model and drawing, hey it was 18 years ago but there was no way I was ever only going to use that model just for a pretty picture.

Comment

I like BIM when it's done right, and when you have a damn good team. It's hard to justify BIM without those two factors.

Me, Alex Cunningham and Matt Short were kicking ass on a project back when we all worked at LAN... well, Matt still does. That job, although a smaller sized building, will go so smoothly for the contractors because you had three mega pimps in Revit, one from Dallas (me), Houston (Matt) and Sacramento (Alex). Man we caught all kinds of stuff and designed it to a tee. No rock was left un-turned. Integrated single model - all disciplines. In all honesty, we basically made construction shop drawings as a consulting engineer. I think we were all proud of that job.
                Tannar Z. Frampton ™
                Frampton & Associates, Inc.

Comment

I just like saying BIM.
                  Dan

Comment

Originally posted by dzatto View Post
                    I just like saying BIM.
                    huh..huh...he said BIM...:bb:
                    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment