Lumion 3D wowness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lumion 3D wowness

So here's a little video our designer put together with Lumion 3D. If you have not seen this software, look it up and get a license NOW. It's the best value on the market I think. (only like $1k USD for a license)

http://vimeo.com/23637998

Modeled in Sketchup, imported into Lumion. Designer spent about 20 hours in Lumion alone. He's been working with Lumion since I showed it to him about a month ago. He played with it for 12 hours, produced a video for a project we're proposing on. The partners loved it so much they purchased a license on the spot and he's been using it since.

The presentation that was done for the project proposal actually produced a "Holy ****!" in the conference room during the meeting with the contractor, client and architect.

Do you blame them? Enjoy!
    .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Holy ****. This was done in 20 hours? Great video
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Including the Rendering of the video and editing in *gasp* Windows Movie Maker xD
      .Carl - Architect, BIM Manager, Father, Husband, Coach, Player, Disc Tosser, Driver... not necessarily in that order.

Free Revit Chat | Cre8iveThings Blog | Live Architecture! | Past Live Architecture!

Comment

Yes--Lumion is pretty nice. Workflow from Revit seems (for us ) to be:

Revit>FBX>3dsMaxDesign>OpenCollada>Lumion--and re-apply all materials.

Only downside of Lumion is that there are no artificial lights for interiors or night scenes--they are working on it, however.
        The current solution is "illuminating maps" applied to act light real light sources.

Render times per frame are in the 5 sec range on best quality. In Max we would be in the 1-10 minute range, even on our Boxx RenderFarm.
        So the GPU rendering apps are very fast vs the old CPU raytrace method.

TwinMotion is a similar product, and does have artificial lights. Great product. We also love Vue, esp. for generating large site with huge amounts of trees and landscaping..............Then there's Adesk Showcase which also shows potential......lots of choices out there!
        Cliff B. Collins
        Registered Architect
        The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
        Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

Our designer is actually using Revit > DWG > Sketchup > Collada > Lumion, apply materials, create scape, add dancing roller blade chicks, render.

Comment

We were considering purchasing one license, since we have the ultimate suite where we can use 3ds max as a translator. However, our reseller told the management that Autodesk resumed work on Project Newport, which could be part of the ultimate suite in the near future.

Comment

Project Newport has been absorbed into Autodesk Showcase, which I believe is included in the Design Suite.

cheers
              Cliff B. Collins
              Registered Architect
              The Lamar Johnson Collaborative Architects, St. Louis, MO
              Autodesk Expert Elite

Comment

What I've heard is that Showcase has been included temporary into the Design Suite untill Project Newport is ready for commercial use. I could be wrong, but that is what they told us at a gathering.

I hope this is true since Showcase can't handle large files.

Comment

Lumion is very cool tool but quite limited and the price is a bit too high in my humble opinion. I've just discovered a new engine which has way more functionality than Lumion but it costs just $499.

There is a very basic tutorial showing what can be done in just 10 minutes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysX9Y...el_video_title

I am downloading a demo now to have a look http://www.neutrone.net

Comment

Yeah the designers at the office here are using Lumion for a while now and they make pretty nice stuff with it. It is however a very new program and has some difficulties, like not being able to save a project to a location you want. It will always go in your documents and settings folder and from what I hear there is no way yet to work on the same project on 2 different computers of users (because of the place to file is stored). From a company point of view that's not very nice, but if you are working alone it should not be a problem.

I send the developer an email asking about this and they told me the open and save as function should be in the 2.0 release sometimes this year which would make it a lot better usable in a company.
                    Company Website: www.deurloobm.nl
                    Revit Ideas: Is this family Mirrored? | Approve warnings | Family Type parameter just those in the family

Comment