Google Map - Earth Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Map - Earth Upgrade

So a friend from work was playing around with Google Map and asked if I had seen the new Earth option...All the buildings and even the trees in Spokane are in 3D....and you can rotate around just like you can in Google Earth.

Coeur d'Alene, where I live, isn't in 3D yet...Downtown Seattle is and a few buildings here and there near where I lived in Mukilteo. The Boeing Plant at Paine Field is in 3D but the Twin Towers where my office was isn't.

My Mom's house in Tucson isn't.....but check out The Boneyards at Davis Monthan AFB...even the A-10 shelters on the tarmac..Not the greatest, but its still interesting...
    Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Yeah, it's pretty cool. All of my city is in 3D. Btw, it's a Google Earth/Google Maps thing - same feature across both.

IIRC, this is pretty much why Google offloaded Sketchup. Sketchup essentially allowed them to model objects for Google Earth but was obviously limited in that they had to have people model each and every structure with varying degrees of accuracy. Then they came up with the technology to allow their mapping planes to construct 3D models from the photos they took. So they've divested themselves of Sketchup and are going with the new technology.
    Michael
    Canberra, Australia

Comment

Originally posted by Exar Kun View Post
      Yeah, it's pretty cool. All of my city is in 3D. Btw, it's a Google Earth/Google Maps thing - same feature across both.

IIRC, this is pretty much why Google offloaded Sketchup. Sketchup essentially allowed them to model objects for Google Earth but was obviously limited in that they had to have people model each and every structure with varying degrees of accuracy. Then they came up with the technology to allow their mapping planes to construct 3D models from the photos they took. So they've divested themselves of Sketchup and are going with the new technology.
      Well I know they used to have contests to see who can model the most of different cities....not just a few major landmarks...but the entire city. This is the first though to see trees too...perhaps they finally figured out how to merge that info from Google Earth to the browser (Map) only version.

Which now I wonder if Google Earth will go away as it won't have to be a separate program? Although that might be hard to accomplish unless they can link my kmz file to whatever browser I am using. I like checking to see how some of the projects I worked on throughout the world are doing as I will never get to see them in person.
      Michael "MP" Patrick (Deceased - R.I.P)

Comment