Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HP rant

Hi guys and gals,

So, I've had an interesting week. My laptop broke down last tuesday. I have a HP8730W laptop. Overall a nice piece of work, except that it keeps breaking down. I've had a broken power cord after 8 months (and no, I don't wrap it up nice and tide). This time Windows gave me an error. Something with a broken dll-file. O, and the battery suddenly stopped charging... Don't know if those two are connected somehow but hey, broken is broken.

But, back to the broken dll-file: I have one rule when Windows is complaining. Never try to fix it, just empty out the harddrive and do a clean reinstall. And so I did. I know it takes some time, installing Windows. But 13 hours is somewhat over the top. And after installment, it's so slow that even the logon sound went sluggish and slow. And after that, nothing worked. It took 5 minutes to open a Explorer window.

So, I started calling the HP helpdesk. Off course, I can send in the laptop. Will take about 6 weeks or so. No guarantees because "this kind of behaviour normally occurs when you have dropped the laptop".
    me: But I didn´t.
    HP: did you open the laptop.
    me: no, I removed the harddrive to empty it out but that's a different compartment.
    HP: then your warranty fails
    me: how do you suggest I recover my data then?
    HP: send it to us.
    me: will you recover it?
    HP: no, but within 6 weeks (!) we'll let you know if we can fix it.
    me: but, do you think it's the harddrive then? I had no problems with emptying it.
    HP: no, probably not, but you shouldn't have opened the laptop.
    me: I didn't. The harddrive is in a single compartment, nothing connected to or nearby the other components. So what's the problem?
    HP: well, you don't have warranty anymore. You could have caused other problems.
    me: no I didn't because the harddrive compartment is in a seperate region.
    HP: then you probably dropped it.
    me: NO, I didn't drop it.

This went on for some time more. End of the song: I took my laptop to a local dealer. No warranty, but at least he took me seriously. Probably a problem with the RAM memory.

So this set me all a few days back in my work. Haven't come around to working a lot. And even less to scrolling this forum. So again, I face a blissfull evening of reading posts and responding. See you around!
    Martijn de Riet
    Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
    MdR Advies
    Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Sorry for your pain, but to me Rant and HP are synonymous.

Comment

Don't even get me started about HP!!!!!! /angry face!!!!!
      -Alex Cunningham

Comment

I´ve got the HP 8710w, and it´s been running smoothly for 2½ year now (knocking on wood)
        Have had the screen replaced though, but that was kinda my own fault, as I left the laptop where my 2yo son could reach it :banghead:

But good to know what happend Martijn. I´ve been calling all the Dutch Rehab Centers, and none of them knew anything about your whereabouts, so I was getting pretty woried about you

:beer:
        Klaus Munkholm
        "Do. Or do not. There is no try."

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
          I´ve got the HP 8710w, and it´s been running smoothly for 2½ year now (knocking on wood)
          Have had the screen replaced though, but that was kinda my own fault, as I left the laptop where my 2yo son could reach it :banghead:

But good to know what happend Martijn. I´ve been calling all the Dutch Rehab Centers, and none of them knew anything about your whereabouts, so I was getting pretty woried about you

:beer:
          They won't let me in anymore... I'm offcially declared hopeless. Instead "they" started sabotaging my hardware.
          Martijn de Riet
          Professional Revit Consultant | Revit API Developer
          MdR Advies
          Planta1 Revit Online Consulting

Comment

Originally posted by Munkholm View Post
            Hey! Me too! That's my "home" lappy! :-D Still going just fine. <knockonwood> I was out of work (laid off) when I purchased it; it was such a great deal I figured if I was going to be out for a significant amount of time, I'd purchase ACAD and RST on my own dime and start to work contract jobs on it. It never got to that, so now I just surf the 'net and post-process some digital photos with it. ;-)
            Leanne Zaras, CDT, LEED AP
            AutoCAD 2010 Certified Professional / Revit Architecture 2012 Certified Professional / Revit Structure 2015 Certified Professional
            ACAD2021, RST2014-2021 / Windows 10, 64-bit

Comment

There is nothing worse than [email protected]^&@ customer service. And what really upsets me the most is when they DON'T listen

Agent:Have you tried restarting your computer?

me:Yes, that did not fix the problem.

Agent: Alright, let's try restarting the computer.

me: I just told you I did and it did not fix it

And that is after finally getting an technical support agent

Before that it is 10 minutes of machines that direct your call to a customer service rep that asks you again all those questions you just answered
              Plus some amount of time on hold
              Plus being transfered to another department waiting , explaining the same thing
              :banghead::banghead::banghead:
              Last edited by JCM; March 29, 2011, 02:09 AM. Reason: spelling
              Juan Carlos Moreno
              Store Designer & Merchandising Manager
              Sisley Cosmetics

Comment

I made the mistake of downloading an HP driver about a month ago and probably somewhere in the process was a reg screen with a check box for don't send me any information about any of your products that I missed. I'm now getting 4 or 5 emails a day from HP for various specials, updates, and other various SPAM. And, they're good. Filter one by sender and the next one is a different sender. I've even resorted to filtering by any bloody thing with hp in it doesn't get in here and that doesn't totally work either. Grrrrr. I HATE HEWLETT PACKARD!
                I'm retired, if you don't like it, go around!

Comment

I guess ive been the lucky of the bunch. ive got an old faithful HP XW4200 from 2005, and its solid, even as old as it is. The two times the mobo failed, they were out the next day to repair it. Then again, i love my M6500 too. I guess im easy to please. =)
                  Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
                  @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment