Revit U1: a word of caution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Revit U1: a word of caution

Back in early testing, I ran into an issue where having network addins enabled caused my machine to throw a "side-by-side" error when I launched Revit, and Revit would crash. Eventually the problem went away ofter a Parallels Desktop update, but I am pretty sure I remember some folks on Windows machines having the same issue.
    Well, I just did an install of Revit with U1 included in the install, and I am getting the same "side-by-side" errors again. However, if I do an install of Revit FCS, then do a separate install of U1, I have no problems. So, yes it could be a Mac VM thing. And a regular install is different from a deployment. BUT, given that you can't remove of slipstreamed update from a deployment, if you are also using networked addins, it may be worth testing things a bit before you update a bunch of deployments.

More info as I glean it, but an early warning to the community seemed warranted.

Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

Im running some of our addins networked, and i have UR1 on my laptop. No issues.
    Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
    @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Just to be clear, I think Gordon's post referred to 2013 update 1.

Comment

Woah. Odd. Not sure why that showed up in my recent threads. I just necro posted!! (Fwiw out networked adding ran fine in 2013 wu1 too, lol)
        Aaron "selfish AND petulant" Maller |P A R A L L A X T E A M | Practice Technology Implementation
        @Web | @Twitter | @LinkedIn | @Email

Comment

Wow, blast from the past there!
          Yes, was referring to 2013 WU1. The issue hasn't reared it's head again (for me or seemingly anyone else), so I am guessing either ADSK or Parallels fixed the issue, even if it never showed up in a fixed list. Knock on wood, as I will be testing some 2014 networked addins in Parallels soon.

Gordon
          Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

I have seen this from revit community.
            Here's an update using Revit 2014 with Parallels... It turns out the Revit 2014 requires DirectX 11, and Parallels only supports DirectX 10 (Even the newest Parallels version 9). I've noticed some minor issues associated with this, such as the thumbnail images not being properly rendered. Additionally, general view regen performance seems noticeably more sluggish than Revit 2012.
            does this mean that 2014 is not running in parallels yet?
            Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Comment

Originally posted by biff View Post
              I have seen this from revit community.
              Here's an update using Revit 2014 with Parallels...
              Not sure where that information is coming from, but I have Revit 2014 running in Parallels, and Parallels 7 at that. Yes, you lose some graphics functionality (Parallels 7 won't support anti aliasing, for example) but it runs, reasonably fast and very stable. And thumbnails seem to be fine.
              I did test Revit 2014/Windows 7 in Parallels 7 & 8 on Lion & Mountain Lion, and I found that the best performance was the newest of everything, so Parallels 8 on Mountain Lion, and next bast was oldest of everything; Parallels 7 on Lion. The other combination where slower, but not horribly so. But I suspect that Parallels 9 is going to perform best on Mavericks when it drops next month.
              Also, it is worth renaming AdskHardwareCertificationReport.xml so that Revit uses everything the virtual GPU has to offer. Autodesk doesn't bother to validate Parallels so the virtual GPU is unlisted, which causes Revit to gimp some things it shouldn't. Rename the file and Revit works fine, but test this a bit before you commit to it (thus rename, not delete) as adsk could introduce something that does cause instability. But thus far I find Revit more stable when it doesn't have a certification list to look at.

Gordon
              Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Thanks gordon, good to know. I don't run it but some of my students do. Just wanted to be ready with an answer to problems if any. I won't go anywhere near the file renaming for them, that's up to them to research and do at their peril.
                Motorbike riding is one long bezier curve

Comment