Another "new build thread" Lenovo w530 Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another "new build thread" Lenovo w530 Laptop

I am shopping around for a new laptop for school. I will be starting my masters program at Boston Architecture next spring and finishing up my grad program at NEIT New England Tech in the fall. Im currently working on a macbook pro 2009 15" 2.5hz and i think its time for a new setup. My teachers recommend the Lenovo ThinkPad series and im leaning towards the W530 how do you guys feel about this setup:

Processor: Intel Core i7-3820QM Processor (8M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)
    Display type: 15.6" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit AntiGlare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
    System graphics: NVIDIA Quadro K2000M Graphics with 2GB DDR3 Memory
    Total memory: 4 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (1 DIMM)
    Hard drive: 320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm

I have been searching these forums and i see Hp laptop setups pop up allot. Is the hp elite series a better choice or even dell, sony or the new macbook pro? :crazy:

I will also be replacing the stock 320gb hdd with: and run a second 500gb scorpion 7200rpm drive
    Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2BAA 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

The 4gb of ram is getting replaced with 32gb From what i have researched the lenovo w530 support 32gb of ram and has 4 ram slots so i would be buying 2 sets of 2 is 32gb going to be overkill?
    Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Laptop Memory Model CMSX16GX3M2A1600C10

Thanks in advanced guys I really appreciate the help and will take your opinions into consideration
    Kyle

I don't have personal experience with this laptop, but I was literally checking it out yesterday because someone in our office needs a new laptop. It looks like a winner.

I was also planning on swapping out the HDD for an SDD (instead of buying the 180GB SSD they offer for $480). It looks like the 2nd HDD would have to replace the DVD drive (which doesn't have much use these days anyway). Do you know if you can buy the HDD bay adapter separately for less money than the $110 they charge for a 2nd 320GB drive? Seems like it would be a $5 piece of plastic.

I'm also curious that they offer a 1920x1080 display as well as a 1900x1080 display for slightly more money - anyone know the purpose of that latter option?

You definitely don't need 32GB of RAM - even 16GB is way more than enough. 32GB is just way overkill - you won't even come close to using half of that much unless you're working on monster-sized projects. (looking at the price, it just blows me away how cheap RAM is these days!).

If you go ahead with the purchase, please let us know how it works out.

:thumbsup:

Comment

Ill def. Keep you guys updated i figured 33gb would be too much but its nice it supports that much just incase later versions of the programs i use need that much. Companies def. hose you for pre installed parts. I agree with you that a cd drive isnt really needed these days and uf you do need it you can just swap it out. There is a cheaper housing like 20 bucks on ebay that actually fits the computer better than the lenovo one. I guess the one yhey have is made for all yhere computers so it fits a little loose. Ill put a link up for you once i get to my computer. I know the computers are heavily discounted right now because i think there coming out with a new line? Would it be worth me waiting or just get it now because i do need it for my upcoming senior thesis.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Comment

New Second 2nd SSD HDD hard drive Caddy For IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T430 W530 T530 | eBay

That is the link to the HDD "cassett" In regards to the sceen i know they have an option for a better resil but they dont give the actual specs of what they are in the checkout which is sort of wierd.

Comment

O yeah one more thing i talk to a lenovo rep today and the w530 was the big release of this year. They will be coming out with an X1 carbon ultrabook to compete with the macbook air but other than that i dont think they will be releasing anything until next year. The w520 has upgraded to the newer i7 chipset and the k2000i graphics card so its basically a smaller version of the w530

Comment

Originally posted by oskyle1567 View Post
            O yeah one more thing i talk to a lenovo rep today and the w530 was the big release of this year. They will be coming out with an X1 carbon ultrabook to compete with the macbook air but other than that i dont think they will be releasing anything until next year. The w520 has upgraded to the newer i7 chipset and the k2000i graphics card so its basically a smaller version of the w530
            Correct, the W530 is their new release that replaces the W520. It's a little frustrating that they don't seem to offer something slimmer with high-end GeForce GPU (more akin to a MacBook Pro). Thanks for the link to the HDD caddy!

Comment

Thanks for the quick response iru I placed an order so i should have it within 2 weeks it came to $2200 with a 3 year accidental warranty. Thats without the student discount -300 if your a student if that helps anyone. I was thinking about the retna macbook pro but im tired of dealing with parallels sharing ram and processing speed, i would have allot of trouble rendering with my 2009 macbook pro so it kind of put a bad taste in my mouth I didnt really like bootcamp either.

Comment

Hi, did you put the 32GB Corsair RAM? Are you still happy with your W530?
                Last edited by airedale; December 26, 2012, 04:47 AM.

Comment