FlexLM upgrade best practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FlexLM upgrade best practice

So Revit 2013 has a new version of FLexLM associated with it, and the whole IPv6 issue also brings up the question of FLexLM upgrades. According to Autodesk the right way to upgrade is to shut down the service and fully uninstall the old FlexLM, then reinstall, replace the lic, log and opt files, then recreate the service anew.
    In contrast, the last few years when I needed to upgrade I just downloaded and installed on a scratch machine, and then simply stopped the service, replaced the three EXE file is the flexLM folder with the new versions, fired up LMTools again and restarted the service. Never had a problem. So, just wondering if anyone else uses the same approach? Or has tried it and had trouble? The Autodesk vetted approach takes a lot longer than my approach. But then Autodesk isn't much concerned with saving BIM Managers time.

Gordon
    Pragmatic Praxis

Have you tried this with the latest version? I need to upgrade and would like to follow your way if it works.
    Troy Gates - Director of Design Technology
    KTGY Group, Inc - http://twitter.com/troygates

Comment

Troy,
      one office I know used this approach, and to my knowledge has not had a problem. My paranoid "15 years as a Windows Admin" streak means I always make a quick backup copy of all the files in the FlexLM folder, just in case. We needed it at that office, as we tried to install the 64 bit version, not realizing the previous admin had them running Windows XP x32 for their FlexLM Server OS! Yoiks. A quick restore of backed up data, then a download of the right FlexLM stuff got us up and running with no problems. I am hoping to talk to them next week to verify no unexpected side effects.

Gordon
      Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

Any news on this lads?

We're holding off 2013 rollout for now (no new project demand - and I've a ton of setup still to do whilst I still have the 2012 functions to do certain tasks) and this is the first I've read about changes to / complications with the license management (thanks reseller! )

Comment

I tested Gordon's method on one server last week. So far it seems to be working. I plan to do the other 6 servers next week if it continues.
          Troy Gates - Director of Design Technology
          KTGY Group, Inc - http://twitter.com/troygates

Comment

Well, I think I discovered a down side to doing the initial install this way. When you do a true install, you also get some other programs, like the license request tool, that lets you get a license via website rather than calling Autodesk. If you just copy the FlexLM folder onto a machine you don't have that. I am pretty sure that doing upgrades the way I have been doing it won't cause problems. But good info to know vis-a-vis initial install.

Gordon
            Pragmatic Praxis

Comment

I upgraded ours last weekend. I used your approach, Gordon. Just shut 'er down and copied in the files (After paranoically making a copy, of course)
              The only problem I had was that the people who had licenses Borrowed no longer show up as "Linger". And they can't return their licenses.
              Luckily, I had made note of them before upgrading and everyone was set to expire on Monday or Tuesday anyway, so no big loss. If, however, someone HAD had a license for two weeks (we don't restrict it) they would not have been able to return early.
              Dave Plumb
              BWBR Architects; St Paul, MN

CADsplaining: When a BIM rookie tells you how you should have done something.

Comment